Bench Test a Cyclone Tach

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Blueracer

Bench Test a Cyclone Tach

Post by Blueracer »

Good day all,
Does anyone out there know how to bench test a 64 Cyclone tach?

poboyjo65

Re: Bench Test a Cyclone Tach

Post by poboyjo65 »

should be easy to just unhook the coil wire & test it on an old car under the hood ,(with stock ignition/dist) of the era. I've heard some of the newer high perf stuff can fry these old tachs. here is a tad newer tach but same wiring.
Johno

Blueracer

Post by Blueracer »

Thank you for your response and the wiring diagram! Much appreciated.

barrys65cyclone

Post by barrys65cyclone »

disconnect hot side [ red ] on coil hook one side of tach to disconnected lead connect other side of tachometer to hot side of coil NOTHING GOES TO NEG SIDE OF COIL FROM TACH blue with red strip is for light if it does not work I fix them also remember NO MULTI SPARK IGNITIONS !

Blueracer

Post by Blueracer »

Thanks for your reply barrys65cyclone.
The common denominator in both responses is I need to do the electrical hook-up on a running car that has no multi-spark ignition system. I am guessing that if the car doesn't start, there is a problem with the tach.
I was hoping there might be some other way to check it on the shop bench, but if this is the only way, I will give it a go. I am suspecting that it may be faulty because it wasn't hooked up...the needle does move when you give it a gentle side it side shake.
Another question, can the tach be modified so that it can run off the negative side of the coil?