Doug's 65 Cyclone build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
DesertRat

Re: Doug's 65 Cyclone build

Post by DesertRat »

Lou: Thanks for the tip on the sanding blocks, I just ordered them today. I have a question for you and the others, Have any of you used Mirka Abranet sanding material for color prep? I painted my 67 Barracuda and I did 90% of the blocking and prep with their product. I am planning on using it again on my Cyclone. It does a good job and seems to last a long time without plugging.
Thanks------------Douglas-------------
Oz never gave nothing to the tin man that he didn't-didn't already have-Image

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Ok I'm just going to throw this out there. I painted my 67 Barracuda with a custom mix PPG Concept of which I have 1/2 gallon left with the catalyst, clear and reducers. Since my Cyclone was red on white what do you guys think about painting my Comet the same color of red? I guess the color could be skewed a bit by computers but you can get the idea. At $600/gallon I kind of want to use up what I have. I plan on keeping the BC as I like the car and it was a 6 year build for me. Two red cars???????????????????????????????
----------Douglas-----------------

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

When I was looking for touch-up paint for my car, the closest match I could find is Chrysler Poppy Red.
I'm assuming this is the same color? A slightly different hue than Mercury Carnival Red. More of a classic Candy Apple color.
Heck, as much as red cost, I would color match what you have already to save money.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Looks good to me! :D
Johno

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

DesertRat wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:28 pm
Lou: Thanks for the tip on the sanding blocks, I just ordered them today. I have a question for you and the others, Have any of you used Mirka Abranet sanding material for color prep? I painted my 67 Barracuda and I did 90% of the blocking and prep with their product. I am planning on using it again on my Cyclone. It does a good job and seems to last a long time without plugging.
Thanks------------Douglas-------------
Nah, I never used it. I wet sand with 600 before color.
DesertRat wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:37 pm
Ok I'm just going to throw this out there. I painted my 67 Barracuda with a custom mix PPG Concept of which I have 1/2 gallon left with the catalyst, clear and reducers. Since my Cyclone was red on white what do you guys think about painting my Comet the same color of red? I guess the color could be skewed a bit by computers but you can get the idea. At $600/gallon I kind of want to use up what I have. I plan on keeping the BC as I like the car and it was a 6 year build for me. Two red cars???????????????????????????????
----------Douglas-----------------
That is up to you if ya want two red cars. My thoughts are, I would keep the 1/2gallon of red you got left over just in case you ever need to do a repair on the Barracuda. ESP if it is a custom mix and you plan on keeping the car. You got paint you know will match which is nice to have on hand.

Use up the catalyst, clear and reducers, but I would hang on to the red base coat. If you want red just buy new red

Lou

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Thanks guys: I am along way from color so I can change my mind multiple times before I get there. Today I stripped on the doors so I can get them in primer and hung on the car.

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

I like red :D
Tom
tomb's 65

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

I had rust repair to do on both doors. At the bottom inside where the drains are. I bent up some 16. Gauge I have laying around and cut out rust and welded in the new metal. I finished stripping the doors to bare metal and got my epoxy primer and a couple coats of high build sandable on the doors today. The rust repair set me back a couple weeks as I didn't know it was there until I started on them. Next up will be the front fenders and headlight fixtures bonding them together. The right fender is a nos replacement and I have trim holes to weld closed as the cyclone does not have those holes. Photos are coming soon.

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

After working myself into the ground I am well enough again to post a couple photos. I pushed myself a little too hard and got a bad cold.
Photo one is the rust damage I found on the bottom of the doors that I couldn't let stand.
Imagetop 100 boys names 2018
I bent up some 16 GA and welded in some repair panels on both doors. This is a partial, I replaced all the metal on the bottoms.
I sanded the doors down to bare metal the best I could.
I painted a couple heavy coats of epoxy primer on the bare metal and followed it up with a couple heavy coats of sandable primer on the same day. the doors are now ready to hang on the car. Next up for me will be bonding the headlight buckets to the fenders and prepping them but I will lose my weather window soon----------

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Looks good Doug!
Starting with two coats of epoxy over bare metal is the way to do it! Do you spray the pieces in your driveway?

Lou

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Lou's Comet wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:09 pm
Looks good Doug!
Starting with two coats of epoxy over bare metal is the way to do it! Do you spray the pieces in your driveway?

Lou
Lou: I have a pretty good system for painting without a booth. I have a good compressor and HVLP gun and a lot of experience doing it. My neighbors are good and they all have watched me build cars since I built the house. I do not paint the color outside though, when I get to that stage I find an indoor place to paint the sealer and color. It's the price I pay to be a hobby builder. My Barracuda was all body worked and painted by me mostly in my driveway. My plan is to have the Cyclone in color by late summer of next year as I am still working some.
Douglas

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

DesertRat wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:01 am
I have a pretty good system for painting without a booth. I have a good compressor and HVLP gun and a lot of experience doing it.
How do you prevent overspray on the driveway or other surfaces? I know you have better control with the HVLP gun, but there must be some overspray around the edges? :?

Jim

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:19 pm
DesertRat wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:01 am
I have a pretty good system for painting without a booth. I have a good compressor and HVLP gun and a lot of experience doing it.
How do you prevent overspray on the driveway or other surfaces? I know you have better control with the HVLP gun, but there must be some overspray around the edges? :?

Jim
Jim: Of course there has to be a set of conditions met for me to paint in my driveway. #1 is absolutely no wind. #2 is the temperature has to be between 65 and 75 degrees or very close. #3 is the need for the temperature correct reducers for the product. And #4 is the gun setup. I have a lot of experience with my paint gun and I can set it up for MINIMAL overspray. Under these conditions what overspray gets away dries in the air and falls to the ground before it moves away. Although I have to say I have never seen overspray on my driveway, house or cars. Just blind luck I am guessing.
Douglas-----------

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Do you paint your color in your garage, and do you set up a temporary paint booth, or do you depend on the same minimal overspray technique?

Jim

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:12 pm
Do you paint your color in your garage, and do you set up a temporary paint booth, or do you depend on the same minimal overspray technique?

Jim
Jim: I do not paint in my Garage. I paint the component parts color in my driveway. The last car I painted I painted the unibody, fenders, hood and trunk color in the shop of the business where I work. It took me 4 days, setup, shoot sealer, shoot color, shoot color/clear mix of PPG Concept. It is the Barracuda I have posted here before.
For the Comet the plans are still developing. I will bodywork and primer in my driveway along with some of the color. I am painting the interior hard surfaces a different color than the exterior so that will all be in my driveway then masked off. The finish color will be in a building somewhere to be decided. Thanks for asking:-)----------------Douglas------------------