Doug's 65 Cyclone build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
DesertRat

Re: Doug's 65 Cyclone build

Post by DesertRat »

Thanks again to Lori for fixing the site license. I have been busy at my job but working on the Comet build as I go. I have a lot of time to research and purchase the next big thing for the build this way. Today is a post of my cooling system install. With a 415 HP 347 stroker and AC I went to my radiator guy for his recommendation. I asked for a 69 Fairlane big block setup and he supplied me with a matching Northern Radiator and fan shroud. Using tomb's thread as a guide I got things mocked up yesterday, The first photo is of my layout for the cut lines and mounting setup.
The second photo is after cutting the core support with my skinny wheel. It came out in one piece.
The third photo shows how I chose to mock it up. This way it is adjustable in and out top and bottom while I decide how to fab the metal work.
The next photo shows how it looks from inside the engine bay mocked up. Seems very big to me but I won't have cooling issues!
The last photo shows the unit with the fan shroud mocked up. The fans move 2600 CFM.
Now I will finalize where I want the radiator to live and fabricate up the actual mounts to be welded into the core support.
My next mock up will be the battery relocation to the trunk. I have some ideas--------------------
Cheers to all----------------Douglas-------------------------
Oz never gave nothing to the tin man that he didn't-didn't already have-Image

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Looks great ! It may seem very big to you now but it wont when you pack everything in. IMO you cant get too big of of a rad. I have the biggest one ford made in the 70's on a truck with a mild 302 in it & it will run normal temps at any speeds with NO fan at all! I even stopped at mickey d's drivethru & it didnt over heat. it go up pretty warm -close to hot on the gauge but with in a 1/4 mile @ 40mph was back down to norm. ran it all summer but I finally fixed the electric fan. A big rad gives you more time (if there is a problem like a leak or whatever)to get to where you're going,more room for error. the stock rads were barely adequate with everything right,but lose a little coolant & not so much. That's why you dont see little dinky rads on newer v8 cars.
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

That's a cooling monster, Doug.
Nothing kills a joy ride like temp gauge neck strain. :)

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Looking good Doug. Like the size of that radiator.
tomb
tomb's 65

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Today I finished the installation of the new radiator mounting brackets.
Dont look too hard at the welding, I have to roll my car outside to do any serious grinding or sanding.
I had to fit in a patch panel on the upper cutout to expose only the radiator core.
I got a piece of 1/4" round stock for the bottom of the patch panel.
I cut a doubler plate for the inside of the upper to add some strength after cutting out the factory stuff. I plug welded it in.
Below shows the roughed in patch panel. I built the mounts from some 1" angle I had around.
Below is a shot of the right side mounting bracket. It is plug welded into the core support and was placed with the radiator connected.
I ended with 1" spacing from the back of the core support, 3/4" clearance below the bottom tank and 3/8 side to side clearance at the lower tank.
The back of the fan shroud is 6 1/2" from the face of the core support so I anticipate no clearance issues with the front of the motor.
Next up for me is roughing in the battery relocate to the trunk.----------------Douglas out---------------------------

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

DesertRat wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:33 pm
The back of the fan shroud is 6 1/2" from the face of the core support so I anticipate no clearance issues with the front of the motor.
The serpentine drive set-up does take up more room up front. Will be interested in seeing how much clearance you end up with after engine mock-up. You're giving me some ideas about a car I'm working on now with serpentine drive and clutch fan.

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

I am at the point that I need to decide on a complete wiring kit for my 65 Cyclone. Does anyone have a recommendation of a complete kit that works well. I will have AC, electric fans and will be putting headlight relays in for the headlights.
All advice is welcome.
Douglas---------------

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

here is another option;
http://midlifeharness.com/
Johno

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Thanks for the reply, I looked at the site but I think I need something more comprehensive. The wiring in my Cyclone was garbage and none of it was reusable. I removed it from the car in 6" increments so I have to start with a complete new system.
On a side note I am relocating the battery to the trunk and building the existing battery site into a terminal/relay/utility site. I am using an Optima battery so it will fasten into a billet holder and using bulkhead connectors will run the cables to the front of the car where they will terminate on multi-terminal positive and negative strips with the car wiring originating from the original battery location. It will be the topic of my next section of my build thread :D
---------Douglas----------

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

I used an American Autowire “Hiway 22” system in my Comet. They supply circuits and wiring for almost any accessories you have installed in the car. Every wire is labeled, and the termination points on the fuse panel are screw terminals so you don't have wires hanging out of the panel. I mounted mine in the glove box because it is easy to access. If interested I will shoot a few pictures of it.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

DesertRat wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 10:41 am
I am at the point that I need to decide on a complete wiring kit for my 65 Cyclone. Does anyone have a recommendation of a complete kit that works well. I will have AC, electric fans and will be putting headlight relays in for the headlights.
All advice is welcome.
Douglas---------------
Try looking under body shop "wiring ideas for your car" Some of us put together our ideas on wiring our cars ourselves. There are some great ideas and the parts we used. Everything you are talking about.
tom
tomb's 65

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

tomb22 wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 10:37 pm
Try looking under body shop "wiring ideas for your car" Some of us put together our ideas on wiring our cars ourselves. There are some great ideas and the parts we used. Everything you are talking about.
tom
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=14780

Jim

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Thanks for all the input guys! I will study the referenced thread and see what you folks are using. I'm interested to see what is posted there.
Tomorrow I continue the metal fab for my battery relocation project.
Douglas-----------

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

I have read through the entire thread of electrical wiring ideas. Can I get a couple of examples of the routing of the battery cables from the trunk mounted battery to the front of the car. I have some ideas but would like to compare it to what someone has actually done. Thanks
Douglas-------------

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

I ran the positive cable from the battery in the trunk under the rear seat and then under the sill plate of the drivers side door up behind the front kick panel then out the fire wall. I then ran it along the inner fender just pass the shock tower to a terminal strip. I then landed the one wire alternator lead to the same terminal strip. The terminal strip also feeds the starter, fuse relay panel by the radiator for lights and fans, and a fuse panel under the dash. I have subconnectors on the car so I took the negative wire from the battery and bolted it to a stud I welded on to the frame inside the trunk.

Here is a picture of the terminal strip
Tom
tomb's 65