Steering limits right-left

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
luc3ch

Steering limits right-left

Post by luc3ch »

My 64 turns tighter to the left than the right. I spent some time adjusting tie rods (evenly to keep same toe adjustment). Seems like I am getting more right turn angle now, as far as I could check in the garage.

But here are my questions:
Is this normal for the mid-60's Ford/Mercurys? This is a manual box, no power. Box is the original HCC-AP unit and I think it has NEVER been replaced, serviced, or otherwise touched in its 56 year history.

What limits the max steering angle? I don't see any bumper stops under the car but maybe I haven't looked past all the crud enough to see. Are the limits set inside the box itself?

Looking to get centered. Thanks for the help.
1964 Comet Caliente, 302, upgraded to Toploader, front disk brakes ready for 2021 season after the snow melts!

SASSY

Re: Steering limits right-left

Post by SASSY »

The steering stops are the ends of the strut rods, the spindle hits them.
Rotate you steering wheel all the way left, then rotate it right counting the exact revolutions to all the way right, turn the steering wheel back left exactly 1/2 the revolutions,,,, are the wheels straight? Is the steerong wheel centered?
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

here is a pic of the stops bolted to the end of the strut rod & LCA,with spindle arm in contact position;

Like Fred said find the center with the steering wheel ,then turn tierods equal amounts to get the tires pointing forward to match the ''centered'' steering wheel. get the s wheel centered first then make the tires match it with the tie rods.
Johno

luc3ch

Post by luc3ch »

Thanks Johno and Fred.
I verified that the spindles are hitting the LCA mounted stops on both sides.

I am getting 4 full turns of the steering wheel and center is pretty close to exactly 2 each way after I adjusted the tie rod sleeves some more.

Should be good to go now.
1964 Comet Caliente, 302, upgraded to Toploader, front disk brakes ready for 2021 season after the snow melts!

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Happy to read your getting it.
4 turns lock to lock doesn't sound right to me for a manual box. I'm thinking they're more like 5 plus. I thought PS boxes were about 4 turns.
But hey if its straight and true 4 is better!
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about