Accelerator pedal

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Roadie800

Accelerator pedal

Post by Roadie800 »

I want to install a Mustang accelerator pedal on my 65 Caliente 289 4 speed. The stock 64-66 Mustang pedal is the “floating” type - i.e. not attached to the floor. Does anyone know if the Mustang pivot rod (the rod that connects the accelerator pedal to the carburetor through the firewall) is interchangeable with the Comet/Falcon?

lavron
Site Admin

Re: Accelerator pedal

Post by lavron »

Roadie800 wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:06 pm
I want to install a Mustang accelerator pedal on my 65 Caliente 289 4 speed. The stock 64-66 Mustang pedal is the “floating” type - i.e. not attached to the floor. Does anyone know if the Mustang pivot rod (the rod that connects the accelerator pedal to the carburetor through the firewall) is interchangeable with the Comet/Falcon?

I used a mid790s pedal from a Tbird LTD I had to build a box to mount it on because it is meant to mount directly to the firewall needed moved back about 2-3”b^ ( it is a cable linkage and the stock 77 6 cyl cable went right on it and the carb. The pedal hangs and is not attached to the floor like the original, so far the only issue I have encountered is I have a harder time doing a brake heel toe to the accelerator because the pedal is smaller but look like it was made to fit right along the trans hump someplace buried in my original build thread is a picture of the install but has eluded me thus far I believe it is labeled as LTD Thunderbird pedal, because thy were the same platform from that peda l came from, wish I would have known I was going to be so prolific when posting to my build thread and named stuff more carefully or split topics better. But live and learn currently the only thing I want to do is route the cable across the firewall to the carb and neaten up my under hood connectionsI like the cable accelerator over a hard rod because it will allow the motor to move without pulling on th linkage effecting idle speed or surging plus my carb is new enough to have a cable connection and I have the factory cable brackets as well makes for a stock appearing installation :roll:
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

I don't think the shafts are interchangeable because the firewall mounts are completely different and the Comet has a bellcrank assembly while the Mustang doesn't. You might be able to adapt a Mustang pedal and the Comet shaft to work together, but it would take some doing. The interior end of the Comet shaft is flattened and parallel to the floorboard. The pedal attaches to the floor and just rests against the pedal with a retaining clip to hold it in place. The Mustang shaft is flattened on the end, but the flattened plane is perpendicular to the floorboard. It has a hole through it, and the pedal has a U-shaped bracket on the back that bolts to the shaft. You might be able to attach a piece on the end of the Comet shaft that would accept the Mustang pedal. The diagrams explain it better than I can.

Jim

Roadie800

Post by Roadie800 »

I used a mid790s pedal from a Tbird LTD I had to build a box to mount it on because it is meant to mount directly to the firewall needed moved back about 2-3”b^ ( it is a cable linkage and the stock 77 6 cyl cable went right on it and the carb. The pedal hangs and is not attached to the floor like the original, so far the only issue I have encountered is I have a harder time doing a brake heel toe to the accelerator because the pedal is smaller but look like it was made to fit right along the trans hump someplace buried in my original build thread is a picture of the install but has eluded me thus far I believe it is labeled as LTD Thunderbird pedal, because thy were the same platform from that peda l came from, wish I would have known I was going to be so prolific when posting to my build thread and named stuff more carefully or split topics better. But live and learn currently the only thing I want to do is route the cable across the firewall to the carb and neaten up my under hood connectionsI like the cable accelerator over a hard rod because it will allow the motor to move without pulling on th linkage effecting idle speed or surging plus my carb is new enough to have a cable connection and I have the factory cable brackets as well makes for a stock appearing installation :roll:
[/quote]

Thanks for the info. Sounds a bit complicated. I’d rather stay away from cable type assemblies.

Roadie800

Post by Roadie800 »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:47 pm
I don't think the shafts are interchangeable because the firewall mounts are completely different and the Comet has a bellcrank assembly while the Mustang doesn't. You might be able to adapt a Mustang pedal and the Comet shaft to work together, but it would take some doing. The interior end of the Comet shaft is flattened and parallel to the floorboard. The pedal attaches to the floor and just rests against the pedal with a retaining clip to hold it in place. The Mustang shaft is flattened on the end, but the flattened plane is perpendicular to the floorboard. It has a hole through it, and the pedal has a U-shaped bracket on the back that bolts to the shaft. You might be able to attach a piece on the end of the Comet shaft that would accept the Mustang pedal. The diagrams explain it better than I can.

Jim

Thanks Jim. I’m thinking maybe getting 2 Mustang pedals and cannibalizing one for the U bracket and tacking it to the shaft to accept the pedal. The other alternative would be to find a Mustang shaft, cut both and weld the Mustang piece onto the Comet shaft.

comethead

Post by comethead »

I used a 65/66 Mustang gas pedal bell crank on my 64 Falcon. I ended up cutting the upper arm to change the angle and I had to bend the lower arm to get the pedal height just right. Also I mounted it just to the right of the original gas pedal linkage opening (and I installed a small plate to block off the hole). Had to punch a hole in the firewall for the bell crank to go through.
It aligns well with the 302 engine and Holley double pumper installed on a Victor Jr. By the way I made a 1/4” adjustable rod for the bell crank to carb link.

1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I think what ever the donor pedal,it's gonna need some mods. I used one from a 73-79 truck. I had to bend on it for a while to get it like I wanted it.I used the pivot mount from the comet, cut the rod to get the comet pivot on & after I welded it back I drilled a small hole for a cotter key to keep it from walking ,,,since I had cut the tabs off that kept it in place.
straight shot & very responsive !
Johno