(65 Vert) Windshield Installation - Advice?

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
kevinshi

(65 Vert) Windshield Installation - Advice?

Post by kevinshi »

I am about to install the windshield on my 65 convertible. I have watched a few youtubes on the process (all of them for 65 Mustangs).

I have a couple of questions in addition to a general call for advice: If anyone has any general suggestions please let me know!

Specific Questions:
  1. Just to verify - am I correct that there are no molding clips? The Mustang (at least the coupe) uses clips but my read of the MPCs is that there are no clips for the Comet/Falcon.
  2. Is the lower molding strip simply pressed into the seal? And *when* is it installed (before or after the windshield is installed)?
  3. I have not yet installed my dash pad... and I know its clips can be a bugger... which do you recommend installing first, the glass or the dash pad?
Thanks,
kevin
1965 Caliente Convertible
5H25A525287 (76DM6204L5416)

JimsHot66

Re: (65 Vert) Windshield Installation - Advice?

Post by JimsHot66 »

Hi Kevin,
I don't have any experience installing a windshield but I would put the dash pad in first. Seems like you'll have more room to work with without the glass in place.

Also, THANK YOU for all the info you've posted on windshield wipers/motors! It's been very helpful for me with my recent adventures with the wonderful windshield wiper set up on these Comet's (I have a Ford truck wiring harness on the way :) ).

Jim

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Put the lower molding in the rubber first.
Do the dash pad and anything about the dash first.
I dont use the rope method. I put the rubber with lower molding installed on the glass, set the bottom in the channel insure it is centered, then I use an old screw driver with a hook bent on the end to work the gasket. Up the sides checking for center and across the top. I would suggest some type of tar sealer around the outside on the gasket to keep water out of the channel.
Edit not sure about convert but hardtop has 4-5 clips that mount to roof.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Yea HT has 5 clips across the top but it looks like the vert doesn't,,,& has 5 screws across that area ; I looked in the 65 paper manual but here is the same identical illustration for 64 ;
http://falconfaq.dyndns.org/display1.ph ... age=17-042

only thing I could add to the advice above is Don't flex the glass! & after you get the bottom set in make sure it is all perfectly centered & try to do both sides at same time,evenly. if you go all way to top with one side before starting the other side it can possibly flex the glass too much. but I have done some w/o string like Fred.
Johno

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

I bought some parachute chord off ebay to use instead of rope. Put the bottom trim in the gasket and pull slowly while spraying the seal with plenty of glass cleaner. The corners are still a pain but with some patience its not bad. Glass cleaner lubes the seal allowing it to slide into place yet does not leave a mess. I had some hook type tools around to help in problem areas. I installed front and rear glass in my Dad's 65 last Summer.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

On a HT, does ALL the trim need to be installed in the gasket before installing the glass?

Jim

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Only the bottom piece goes in the gasket. The other 5 pieces are mounted to the body to cover most of the gasket after the wshield is installed.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

kevinshi

Post by kevinshi »

JimsHot66 wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:02 pm
Also, THANK YOU for all the info you've posted on windshield wipers/motors! It's been very helpful for me with my recent adventures with the wonderful windshield wiper set up on these Comet's (I have a Ford truck wiring harness on the way :) ).
I have now been called out twice here on Comet Central in the span of a few days over my obsession with the wipers ;-). I have produced an amazingly boring video about the vacuum driven system... with your collective prodding I will finally try to get it finalized and published to YouTube this weekend. The video will affirmatively validate your decision to forgo the nutty vac system entirely.... but you might find it marginally interesting... further bulletins as events warrant.
Thanks,
kevin
1965 Caliente Convertible
5H25A525287 (76DM6204L5416)

rmertz3282

Post by rmertz3282 »

Can the lower trim be installed after the windshield is in place?
Randy
1965 Mercury Comet Caliente Convertible

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:27 pm
On a HT, does ALL the trim need to be installed in the gasket before installing the glass?
Discovered a typo in my earlier question. It should have read "...in the REAR glass?" :roll: So, what trim has to be installed in the rear window gasket before installation?

Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:00 pm
Jims65cyclone wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:27 pm
Discovered a typo in my earlier question. It should have read "...in the REAR glass?" :roll: So, what trim has to be installed in the rear window gasket before installation?

Jim
I'd say all of it Jim. my car doesn't have the trim & I couldn't get any of it to go in . it has an L shaped flange that gets under the glass it felt like, in an L shaped channel in the rubber.
Johno

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

I'm in the process of changing my rear window gasket. All the trim goes on the gasket before the glass in. The trim is a pain to get installed. Lots of window cleaner and s soft mallet to tap it in seems to work. I did the front glass using rope by myself. I've never installed glass before but wasnt too tough.
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

redhotcomet wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 8:36 pm
I did the front glass using rope by myself. I've never installed glass before but wasnt too tough.
Did you add sealer? in that groove?
Johno

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

I installed the windshield in my Dad's 65 Cyclone last fall. Bought some parachute cord off eBay, used a lot of window cleaner as lube and it went in pretty easy. Like said above, put most trim in before installing, but I was able to push the trim back down where it had pulled out. The upper corners on both side where a bit tricky. Make very sure you get the windshield centered when you start, it does not move easily. Rear window was easier.

As you can see in this picture, used cloth line clips to hold the headliner while we prepared to install the windshield. We used no sealer at all and have no leaks. I did not take pictures of the process, this picture was taken as we started installation.
Attachments
IMG_3554.jpg
IMG_3554.jpg (101.77 KiB) Viewed 1935 times
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 8:53 pm
redhotcomet wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 8:36 pm
I did the front glass using rope by myself. I've never installed glass before but wasnt too tough.
Did you add sealer? in that groove?
I did not. Should I have? I figured if it leaked some clear silicone should seal it up.
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"