'64 Factory A/FX

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Joe Travers

'64 Factory A/FX

Post by Joe Travers »

Posted this one earlier but they finally listed a price after a year on the market.
Looks like they are ready to deal. Maybe Leno will buy it and shoot a video driving it through Burbank :mrgreen:

https://classics.autotrader.com/classic ... /101660107

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

comethead

Re: '64 Factory A/FX

Post by comethead »

$300k!! :shock:
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Joe! Buy it and put it your museum.
Lets go racin!
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

comethead

Post by comethead »

Sure!! Knock off a few zeros and ill take it!! :lol:

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

If you really think about it what would you do with it if it was given to you?
We all (I assume, which,,, well U know) have respect for the cars provenance so we would want to preserve the car,, maybe display it,,,, somewhere, maybe even make a exhibition pass at special events and hey if thats you, great, but it would just be another headache for me.
Id rather have a racecar,, like Joes get out there and thrash it to the best of this old guys ability. So what if it rains overnight and I didnt unload. IMO racecars are wax and polish magnets.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

comethead

Post by comethead »

SASSY wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:22 am
We all (I assume, which,,, well U know) have respect for the cars provenance so we would want to preserve the car,, maybe display it,,,, somewhere, maybe even make a exhibition pass at special events and hey if thats you, great, but it would just be another headache for me.
Id rather have a racecar,, like Joes get out there and thrash it to the best of this old guys ability. So what if it rains overnight and I didnt unload. IMO racecars are wax and polish magnets.
I agree Fred- cars like that really belong in a museum or collection with public access. Too valuable to motorsports history (and expensive) to just drive around and thrash.
When I see some of the cars auctioned off on TV for big bucks I wonder what the heck they’re gonna do with them? Cars and coffee and car shows and back to the garage. I was a nervous wreck just driving my restored 66 fastback Mustang. :lol:
It sure is nice beating on the Falcon and not really caring much about all of it. I think I might crank up the rev limiter to 6700 this next go at the track…maybe even 6800 :wink:

Joe

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

SASSY wrote:
Sell it to Jim Wilks :lol:

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Joe Travers wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:31 am
SASSY wrote:
Sell it to Jim Wilks :lol:

Joe
That's my point really its become a dollar bill.
So many people get wrapped up in cost and return it destroys the passion that dragged them into the
"Hobby" to start with. Long term owners probably understand what Im trying to say better than others.
As an example Ive never had an "appraisal" done on my car! It's just a waste of gas money!

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

And a lot of times,,the aprasil will upset you,,these old cars are worth what ever you can get someone to pay you for it....and they will always be worth more to you....JMO...so build it your way,,,drive the fire out of it and don't loose your mind over a scratch or ding,,,,pop
pop/glenda

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

SASSY wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:11 am
So many people get wrapped up in cost and return it destroys the passion that dragged them into the
"Hobby" to start with.
I've never wrapped my head around the 'hobby' thing. It's just fun transportation to me.
Put 80 miles on her today to go help a friend in his shop. Cruising @ 3K rpm listening to the engine is fun.
I guess that's my hobby :mrgreen:

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Joe Travers wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:04 pm
SASSY wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:11 am
"Hobby" to start with.
I've never wrapped my head around the 'hobby' thing. It's just fun transportation to me.
Put 80 miles on her today to go help a friend in his shop. Cruising @ 3K rpm listening to the engine is fun.
I guess that's my hobby :mrgreen:

Joe
I feel the same way. I have all my old cars (pre 1985) insured and road worthy. I told my wife if I drive a different one to work each day of the week (from March to Novemver) I am winning at life. Even my 67 GT500 gets driven around town running erands, but I bought it in 1987 so I don't have a lot of money in it. Maybe if I paid a ton for it I might be more protective.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Here's a shot I took today in front of his house. Love the stance. Get around 16 mpg cruising @ 3K w/ a Holley DP. Think I might jet the primaries down one more time since I don't get into WOT. Not bad considering my Turbo Lincoln only gets 17 in town where I drive it the most.

He called about a Comet for sale in his town while I was there but it had recently sold. Said it was a rocket ship. Hate I missed seeing it :(

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

SASSY wrote:
If it was given to me? I would take it to the track and beat on it. If it had a title and I could get plates on it I would drive it. I don't get the display only part.

Seriously how cool would it be staging and waiting to launch in a 64 Comet AFX ??? I don't think that is something I could do just once and then put the car on display.

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

popscomet wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:48 pm
And a lot of times,,the aprasil will upset you,,these old cars are worth what ever you can get someone to pay you for it....and they will always be worth more to you....JMO...so build it your way,,,drive the fire out of it and don't loose your mind over a scratch or ding,,,,pop
I agree,,I have always built "my" cars my way and as you say Pops driven the fire out of them, I probably enjoy building them more than owning them. And grew up with a Dad that was a car dealer so getting money for them when I was done with then was always a small part of it but I have always done well when I sold them. The plan is to keep the Comet but who knows. And I did the math, my Comet is the longest I have owned a car at 15 years.

Lou