Disc Brake Conversion

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
jarudd74

Disc Brake Conversion

Post by jarudd74 »

I intend to convert from drum to disc brakes. Question is: should I convert both front and rear or just the front? I will install a dual reservoir master cylinder regardless. I want better braking capability but given that I don't drive this car in high levels of traffic, perhaps the front conversion will suffice. I will appreciate receiving any observations and recommendations. Thank you.

Jerry
Jerry
1965 Caliente 302 T5

poboyjo65

Re: Disc Brake Conversion

Post by poboyjo65 »

Disc brakes are not necessary on the rear but you will need a specific master cylinder for which ever combo you choose.
Johno

comethead

Post by comethead »

Fronts only and well maintained rear drums will have her stopping great! Good luck
Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

minion

Post by minion »

I used a master good for both front and rear disc, you can use it with rear drum which is what I'm doing but you need to put a 10psi residual pressure
valve in the feed line to rear drums. It keeps the rears from backing out to return spring pressure so you don't have long pedal travel, down the road decide to go rear disc just remove the residual valve.

jarudd74

Post by jarudd74 »

Thanks for the comments about disc brake conversion. I will go with front only.
Jerry
1965 Caliente 302 T5

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Plumbing in a 2lb residual check valve to the front discs might also help to obtain a firm pedal. I would also recommend installing an adjustable proportioning valve, it will allow you to adjust the balance between the front and rear brakes especially if you are using different size tires at each end. Some companies recommend a non adjustable combination valve, in my experience they are not a “one size fits all” and are not the answer. If you plan to use a factory front disc set up from another FoMoCo vehicle plan on using the corresponding master cylinder. F150 and Maverick manual disc/drum masters are popular.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Racersonly

Post by Racersonly »

Jim and Jerry,
Tell me about these 2lb front and 10lb rear residual check valves. As they’re different lb ratings, are they compatible with each other? Is the 2lb front and 10lb rear the way to go? What size of a contraption are they? Where do you get them? And where do you install them? I installed a Chockostang original equipment front disc brake kit the winter before last. I like the results, but, from my sports car racing experience, I like a higher and firmer brake pedal. Can I assume that these valves will accomplish this?
Jack Bartelt
1965 Comet Caliente Convertible

Racersonly

Post by Racersonly »

Jim and Minion,
Tell me about these 2lb front and 10lb rear residual check valves. As they’re different lb ratings, are they compatible with each other? Is the 2lb front and 10lb rear the way to go? What size of a contraption are they? Where do you get them? And where do you install them? I installed a Chockostang original equipment front disc brake kit the winter before last. I like the results, but, from my sports car racing experience, I like a higher and firmer brake pedal. Can I assume that these valves will accomplish this?
Jack Bartelt

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

I bought a front disc brake setup from Dan as well, installed on my daughter’s 66. Put the adjustable proportion valve on it, I did buy the two residual check valves from Summit but haven’t installed them yet. Here’s what I bought; https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hli-315217 there’s an explanation on the function in the link as well.

They plum in line with your brakes, red (10lb) rear, blue (2lb) front, where you put them is up to you, but I would think the front one close to the MC, and the rear brake line before it splits. I’m thinking it’s more important for the rear then the front to have one. Our 66 has manual brakes, it takes some getting used to from driving our newer cars.
Motor Safe,
Lee

Racersonly

Post by Racersonly »

Lee,
Kit ordered……..Thank you!
Jack Bartelt

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

Jack, please let us know how they work out for you. I haven’t installed ours yet because the brakes feel and stop pretty good, does take a bit more pressure for hard stops. I was going to plum the rear check valve at the junction box where the brake lines split, also thought about possibly putting it closer to the front junction box splitter 🤷🏻‍♂️
Motor Safe,
Lee

Racersonly

Post by Racersonly »

Lee,
Will do. You’ll have to wait a few months though. My plans are to install the valves over the coming winter.
Jack Bartelt

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

I might have mine installed within the next couple months, car is in my workshop working on the body for paint, and will be re-doing the front suspension while I’m at it. All the best with your build.
Motor Safe,
Lee

comethead

Post by comethead »

Racersonly wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:46 pm
I like the results, but, from my sports car racing experience, I like a higher and firmer brake pedal.
A higher pedal can be gotten with an adjustable pedal push rod like this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Manu ... 632-2357-0
For firmer I believe you can experiment with different sized MC piston diameters and wheel cylinder sizes.

On my Falcon I’m running a 1’ bore MC and rear 1” wheel cylinders with front Lincoln style calipers and the pedal is pretty firm.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

robib

Post by robib »

If the Master Cylinder is higher than the calipers or wheel cylinders, what is the purpose of the residual valves?