Pulled the Boss

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Re: Pulled the Boss

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Fired it up tonight, no coolant or exhaust. Sounded awesome, just ran it for a minute to make sure it was good before putting everything else back on. Tomorrow just need to install radiator, hoses, fan and coolant. Also need to put the driveshaft back in then take a drive.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

StPro

Post by StPro »

What is the aluminum looking block in the upper right hand corner of your engine bay ? In the old motor picture i looks like it has a power steering hose passing through it.
Only use the brakes to stop and get gas.
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
93 Mark VIII Supercharged w/Fogger
70 Torino GT

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

StPro wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 2:17 pm
What is the aluminum looking block in the upper right hand corner of your engine bay ? In the old motor picture i looks like it has a power steering hose passing through it.
That is where the clutch cable goes through the firewall and is adjusted. I used the Mustang steve kit and had to add a spacer on the bellhousing to make up for the firewall to clutch pedal distance difference.

Here is what I made. Bolts to the bellhousing where the cable goes.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

StPro

Post by StPro »

That makes sense left of the master cylinder 👍
Only use the brakes to stop and get gas.
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
93 Mark VIII Supercharged w/Fogger
70 Torino GT

kellycj

Post by kellycj »

I had to make an aluminum spacer just like yours to T5 my 65.

I've always loved the look of those valve covers; I've got Ford Motorsport catalogs back to the mid 80s, and I used to think those were the coolest things. I'd like to have a set if nothing else to hang on the wall and just look at! They fetch a pretty good price now - there's a set for sale near me. Suffice it to say, I'll have to pass on them.

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

kellycj wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:17 pm
I had to make an aluminum spacer just like yours to T5 my 65.

I've always loved the look of those valve covers; I've got Ford Motorsport catalogs back to the mid 80s, and I used to think those were the coolest things. I'd like to have a set if nothing else to hang on the wall and just look at! They fetch a pretty good price now - there's a set for sale near me. Suffice it to say, I'll have to pass on them.
I saw a set on facebook, complete with all the little pieces for $2000.00 That is crazy, I would have to let mine go if someone offered me that much, lol.
Larry