MY 64 gasser

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
no excuses

MY 64 gasser

Post by no excuses »

picked up a 64 comet 2dr sedan. Car came from the factory with a 200ci 6cyl, two speed auto and 3.20 gears with white bench seats. It was also peacock blue which is kind of remaining lol. This is a roller when I picked it up, it has a straight axle in the front, 9" in the rear, subframe connectors, roll bar, 15x4.5" 10 spoke rocket wheels. It also has the floorboards cut out, some body cancer in the rear drivers side quarter panals. The front axle is sitting about 7" forward from stock.
I am thinking of moving it backwords 4" or 5". Otherwise I will have to trim the lower front fender to get it to fit. I am also reversing the front springs as the shackle is to the front right now.

no excuses

Re: MY 64 gasser

Post by no excuses »

Looking at the front springs they are 31.5" long, I cannot move them far enough back to get me the 5-6" I need to gain fender clearance. I am thinking about getting a set from speedway motors that are 26" long. I have about 2.5" from the back of the spring mount to the end of the frames flat surface. So between moving the hanger back and the 2.5" from the shorter spring that should get the front tire back to where I do not need to cut the front fender.

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

no excuses wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:12 am
Looking at the front springs they are 31.5" long, I cannot move them far enough back to get me the 5-6" I need to gain fender clearance. I am thinking about getting a set from speedway motors that are 26" long. I have about 2.5" from the back of the spring mount to the end of the frames flat surface. So between moving the hanger back and the 2.5" from the shorter spring that should get the front tire back to where I do not need to cut the front fender.
Are the center bolts of the front springs centered?? If they are not and the spring is longer in the front of the center bolt maybe you can reverse them to move the wheel back. Also are you going to run fenderwell headers?? If so you may need the wheel forward. Also trimming the front fenders may be the easier fix. Just some thoughts....

Lou

Edit: cool car!

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

I’ll be following your build 👍
Motor Safe,
Lee

no excuses

Post by no excuses »

Lou's Comet wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:24 am
Are the center bolts of the front springs centered?? If they are not and the spring is longer in the front of the center bolt maybe you can reverse them to move the wheel back. Also are you going to run fenderwell headers?? If so you may need the wheel forward. Also trimming the front fenders may be the easier fix. Just some thoughts....

Lou

Edit: cool car!
[/quote]

the springs are centered, I checked that first thing lol. I do plan on running fenderwell headers and I had not thought about needing room for them, thanks. I think I will just try to move the axle back as far as I can first and see how it looks.

and thanks !!

no excuses

Post by no excuses »

power is in the form of a 95 351W that has been bored and strocked out to 408. 11-1 comp. victor jr intake, ProMaxx project X 210cc heads and lunati hyd. roller cam 242/252 @ .50 with .580/.590 lift, Scat stroker kit round out the motor. Motor made 560tq @ 4800rpm's and 570hp @ 6000rpm's. I could probably pick up 30-50hp with a bigger solid roller cam but the hyd roller should make it easier to maintain. The plan is to run a C6 behind that as I want a transmission that I do not have to worry about. I have a C4 (needs rebuilt) but think the C6 will handle this engine better especially if I decide to add some juice to it.

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

Yeehaa should run good.
Motor Safe,
Lee

no excuses

Post by no excuses »

Caveman49 wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:06 am
Yeehaa should run good.
I dont want it to just look like a gasser, I want it to perform also :twisted:

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

no excuses wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:51 pm
I dont want it to just look like a gasser, I want it to perform also :twisted:
What ya call a wild buggy ride :mrgreen:

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Since it is a 95 motor that would be an elusive 351W factory roller cam motor. No need for linked lifters. Only made them a few years, great choice for your build.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

no excuses

Post by no excuses »

Boss/Cyclone wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:09 pm
Since it is a 95 motor that would be an elusive 351W factory roller cam motor. No need for linked lifters. Only made them a few years, great choice for your build.
I had another 351W block but it was older and I wanted the roller block. save a few dollers on lifters lol.

no excuses

Post by no excuses »

pulled the front axle out I am going to flip the springs around and move them back as far as I can, right at 3".

no excuses

Post by no excuses »

I am going to clean up the engine bay a bit. I ordered a spot weld cutter and will remove the old factory brackets.

I am debaiting on wether to remove the inner fender panel or just cut out all the old rusted metal around the old battery box. Then replace it with a piece angled as the rest of that inner panel. With the shock tower/inner fender already cut out for headers and the roll bar I am not to worried about additional dust/dirt getting in the engine bay. This will never be a show car, I am not the person for that type of build.

no excuses

Post by no excuses »

cleaned up the factory mounts

sldo removed the shock tower braces mounts at the firewall. They had been cut off before I got this.

no excuses

Post by no excuses »

picked up a C6 core transomission and a driveline safety hoop at the PIR swap meet.