Radio Compatibility

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
FuzzyDriver

Radio Compatibility

Post by FuzzyDriver »

What radios will fit right in a 1964 Comet? :?

Other Comet years?
Other 1964 Mercury's?
1964 Falcon? Some other Falcon years? What about Mustang?

The "radio" (I have to use that term loosely) that was in my baby is a major head-shaker, but the post doesn't belong here.
OK...so she might need a little work.Image

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Re: Radio Compatibility

Post by A/FX »

FuzzyDriver wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:35 am
What radios will fit right in a 1964 Comet? :?

Other Comet years?
Other 1964 Mercury's?
1964 Falcon? Some other Falcon years? What about Mustang?

The "radio" (I have to use that term loosely) that was in my baby is a major head-shaker, but the post doesn't belong here.
Big ‘64 mercury radio’s fit ‘64 Comets using the normal face plate. Am/Fm radio’s use an unique faceplate but also interchange between big ‘64 Merc’s and ‘64 Comets. The factory Am/Fm radio was a rare option in ‘64, I once owned a ‘64 Parklane Marauder that had the Am/Fm option, my Cyclone also has that option although I do not have it installed in the car. My music comes from under the hood.
Jim

‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

65-66 Mustang radio's fit too.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

comethead

Post by comethead »

Boss/Cyclone wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:20 pm
I believe the knob shafts are too short on those types. On a Comet they gotta go through the dash trim plate, on a Mustang they don’t.
I wonder if a guy like Tayman radio could add longer shafts on a Mustang unit? :?:
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

comethead wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:07 am
Boss/Cyclone wrote:
I believe the knob shafts are too short on those types. On a Comet they gotta go through the dash trim plate, on a Mustang they don’t.
I wonder if a guy like Tayman radio could add longer shafts on a Mustang unit? :?:
You are right, I got it to work with different knobs. Can't remember from what, it was long ago.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

It looks to me like the 64 radios are different from 65. maybe not but knobs look closer to the bezel on 64's . Just an observation from looking at the pics, never had a 64 on hand to compare. :?

64 comet am/fm

65 comet am/fm

65-65 mustang am/fm
Johno

FuzzyDriver

Post by FuzzyDriver »

comethead wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:07 am
Boss/Cyclone wrote:
You are correct. I got hold of a Falcon AM radio (Model 4TBD). Everything matched up except the shafts are too short, so this isn't going to work. Pushbuttons are different, but they fit through the opening OK.

FuzzyDriver

Post by FuzzyDriver »

If any of you guys have a Mercury radio that will fit properly in my '64, I'd appreciate it. I'd really like to get one put in.

Thanks.

FuzzyDriver

Post by FuzzyDriver »

I found a nice-looking Comet radio on eBay. But it's a 1965. model 5TPE, while the 1964 AM model is 4TME. Does anyone know for sure if a 1965 Comet AM radio will fit correctly in a 1964 Comet? The problem with the Falcon radio is that the knob shafts are too short. The photos of the 1965 Comet radio show shafts that are way longer than the Falcon, which is a good sign. Already bought one radio that doesn't fit (the Falcon radio) so don't really need more radios that don't fit heh heh.

Thanks!

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Keep in mind that an AM radio face plate and an AM/FM face plate are not the same, you must have the correct face plate to install either radio. AM/FM radios are extremely rare, in ‘64 they used the same radio in Comets and big Mercurys, obviously the face plates were not the same.
Here is the AM/FM radio from my Cyclone.
Jim
Last edited by A/FX on Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

FuzzyDriver

Post by FuzzyDriver »

Thanks for that informaion. I guess I need just an AM radio then. Unless somebody has both the AM/FM radio and the bezel for a 1964 Comet. It's amazing to me that if I had any year Comet EXCEPT a 1964, I wouldn't have an issue getting a modern replacement that would fit. I went through eight internet stores and they ALL skip 1964. :(

FuzzyDriver

Post by FuzzyDriver »

The 1965 Comet AM radio looks really nice. From what I am told by internet store people the bar between the dial and pushbuttons is what keeps a 1965 from fitting. Has anyone been successful cutting away the bezel bar and then putting in a 1965 radio?

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Here is a ruff looking one on ebay;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/334859633711
I would cut the bezel unless you have a spare. they pop up now & then.
Johno

FuzzyDriver

Post by FuzzyDriver »

Thanks for the reply. Did you mean "I would cut the bezel unless I didn't have a spare"?

I see that the radio in the eBay link has "64 Comet" hand-written on it, but that sure doesn't look like a '64 Comet radio. According to the shop manual the 4TME radio put in the 1964 Comet was made by Motorola, not RCA. This cabinet is very different. Every Comet/Falcon/Mustang radio from the era that I've seen has the output transistor mounted in the front of the cabinet on the bottom-right corner. Here's the 1965 Comet radio on eBay that I am thinking about boogering up my bezel to get it to fit: https://www.ebay.com/itm/276255854106

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Yea I meant I wouldn't cut my only bezel . Seems like I have heard the 65 shafts are too long or something. are you looking for one that works? or are you going to have modern guts put in one? I just had a guy in Mt Juliet Tn. rework mine with all new stuff -blutooth & all.

Have you tried any of the comet pages on facebook?
Johno