65 Gage Bezel

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
2gr8kids

65 Gage Bezel

Post by 2gr8kids »

I've been working on recreating the gage bezel design so that it can be reproduced utlizing 3D printing. I scanned an original bezel and then reverse engineered it creating a new CAD model. Today I received the first full 3D printed part. This first part is simply a test piece to evaluate both the quality of the printing and the overall accuracy of the design. This part was made using a resin printing process and it turned out excellent. There are only a couple of edges that would need be smoothed prior to painting or plating. The design is very close as well. There are just a couple of areas that need to be modified slightly.

Since I now have the CAD model I can redesign the gage bezel and have a concept for a six gage bezel that would allow a tach in the bezel.

My plan going forward is the order a batch of these and have them available. This is a relatively big 3D print and sources are limited with type of high end machine to produce this part. This is not something that can be done on hobby 3D printer. I'm expecting the cost for a raw printed part to be about $300 and plated could be as much as $700. I still need to get final figures from the printing company and plating company.

I'd be interested in any feedback on this.

SASSY

Re: 65 Gage Bezel

Post by SASSY »

I don't have a 65 but that looks like a great alternative to the degraded stock plastic. For me it would be really exciting to be able to get alternative gage placement.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

The bezel looks amazing. I am not fluent on ‘65 Comets but for some reason I believe they are the same as ‘65-‘66 Mustang. If that is true you have a very large audience that would be in interested the six gauge panel. Nice work!
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

A/FX wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:38 pm
The bezel looks amazing. I am not fluent on ‘65 Comets but for some reason I believe they are the same as ‘65-‘66 Mustang. If that is true you have a very large audience that would be in interested the six gauge panel. Nice work!
Jim they are similar but mustang bezel has both sides rounded where comet has a straight right side because comet has a radio bezel that it butts up to. Mustang doesn't have a radio bezel, & thats why an fm mustang radio has chrome around the dial -because it shows whereas a comet fm is just blacked out around the dial & is covered by a bezel. but other than that ,different knob shaft length & the print on the slidebar it's same radio. but the clear gauge lens from a mustang fits comet bezels, I just put one in mine. & there is already a 6 gauge mustang bezel available. however ,people have used mustang bezels & omit the radio bezel . some have left the radio bezel but it looks stupid.

Glad to see someone is going to make these cool! Now we need tail light housings! :D
Johno

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

2gr8kids did you notice that the od of the rings around the gauges were different sizes? Lol . be cool if you keep all of that like the factory ones so the camera case inserts for cyclones & woodgrain inserts for calientes would still fit.
Johno

2gr8kids

Post by 2gr8kids »

Yep, I noticed that the gage pods are different sizes. With the prototype in hand I'll be comparing it to the stock one and adjusting where needed. Since I have the design built in CAD any changes should be a an easy adjustement. I purchased a set of the camera case inserts to verify fit. The one that goes on the right side of the speedo fits really well and the other needs a minor adjustment. I'll be working on the design changes needed over the next week or so and will order another 3D print once the changes are complete. Hopefully the design will be ready go after that.

2gr8kids

Post by 2gr8kids »

Tail light housings would be an interesting project. I would think a 3D printed version of that is doable.

In addition to a stock replacement there is the option build other designs that utilize led lighting. I can imagine an led panel that drops in behind the a stock lense or leds behind a diffuser for a non-stock build. There are some cool thing being done with led tail lights. 396maro on youtube has some interesting designs.

Let me know if there is an interest is doing this. An led version is something that I've been comtemplating recently but haven't taken the time to develop the idea. I'd like some bright brake lights!

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Looks great, I am sure there is a market for these, mine has a factory defrost vent tach so factory setup would be my choice. But I like the factory style look of your 6 gauge set up.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Also, I know we are both in Michigan. If you need contacts for a plater let me know. A few guys in my car club have a guy here in Michigan they use to replate their plastic pieces. I'd have to ask for his contact info since I have not used him, but he has done good work in our group.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

saSSoman8810

Post by saSSoman8810 »

I would like one .I install my tach in the speedo hole and mechanical gauges in the other holes. At least that's how I did my SEGA super stock wagon.
I would just paint mine. No need for chrome on a stripped interior gasser interior.
Tail light housings to accept Led's would be great.

loman

Post by loman »

That gauge cluster will be a very nice and welcomed piece to the Comet community.