Russ's 64

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Re: Russ's 64

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Russ;looks killer!!! Can you explain the cooling system?Are those two capped fittings for coolant lines?What are the two blue fittings for?That beast should HAUL ASS!!!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

eckenber

Post by eckenber »

Hey Pro, only takes 45 min. to get to his shop. Shop looks organized. Has three other mechanics working there. Separate dyno shop next door. So far he has not found the specs on this motor. For now I'll just call it my 408 mystery motor.
1970 Ford Fairlane 500 429scj -drag pack option
1986 Mustang GT, heads, cam, intake, vortech super charger
1964 comet calente -in progress

eckenber

Post by eckenber »

I could use some help with these heads. Not familiar with yates heads. Two front aluminum caps appear to be water passages. Don't know if they have to be used or if it is for optional cooling. Also have no idea about the blue fittings. Help!!!!!!!!!

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

The plugs must cover the fittings where the upper coolant lines attach as I do not see any other points for attachment.I believe on Cleveland style heads the water passes from the heads to the block,where on a Windsor style head it passes from the head into the intake[T-Stat housing].I would get the info from the engine builder as you probably need to fabricate some kind of water manifold or some way to attach to the top of the radiator. JMO,ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

pro64

Post by pro64 »

hey russ i think roy is right, im not sure if u have to tap into those tho. winston cup boys come up with all kinds uv things to make MORE POWER, and cooling the cylinder heads is a big one, either way its a win win for u thats an awsome build u have. the little blue things look like little air bleeders to me, may b purge all air pockets out uv cylinder head cooling system, u need to remember roush yates builds motors to last 500 to 600 miles @ 9000 rpm that alone is amazing. it may b worth ur while to use the water taps. research all u can on internet im sure u can find info there on what u have. o yea i hope u bought wheelie bars ur going to need mmmmmmmmmmm :lol: 8)

pro64

Post by pro64 »

found pics uv a yates motor on one uv there websites being dynoed and they had rubberhoses going to those ports. im thinking may b make up a set uv high pressure braided hoses with pressed elbows and ur good to go, my guess as a crossover from head to head or a return or feed from radiator. checkout yates heads web.

pro64

Post by pro64 »

hey russ how u making out with motor, man i made out very well at carlisle. got some emblems new teardrop hood scoop, meet alot uv good people

eckenber

Post by eckenber »

Hey Pro, glad to here you found some useful stuff @ carlisle. I've been doing some research on the yates heads. Think I got it figured out. No funds to move forward. Just been doing some minor stuff on car that doesn't require spending. I'll post some pics later. How about some updates on your project.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

eckenber wrote:I could use some help with these heads. Not familiar with yates heads. Two front aluminum caps appear to be water passages. Don't know if they have to be used or if it is for optional cooling. Also have no idea about the blue fittings. Help!!!!!!!!!
They could very well be the high point in the cooling system in a cup car.
On my SC V6 there is a air bleeder on the block at the stat housing and is the high point on the cooling system.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

pro64

Post by pro64 »

hey russ understand about funds, u just made a substantial investment in a motor 8) been on and off with car have backhalf and frame connecters all tacked in rear quaters hung, will post pics in a few weeks.

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Russ, any progress?
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

pro64

Post by pro64 »

hey russ whats the good word hope all is well 8)

eckenber

Post by eckenber »

Hey pro, I'm still out of work but hanging in there. Been working at a body shop and doing some side work to get by. Haven't touched the comet since last June. Have complete drivetrain ready to install. Hope to get back on it soon. How is your build coming along? Haven't seen any new photos. :D

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

I just found this thread and while my 63 is nowhere near as nice as your's, its given me some inspiration to keep going. I've got all the floor cut out and pieces made to put back. I didn't want to spend the money on floorpans, probably should of...... I'm getting burnt out, all the rust, trying to make pieces fit, more rust. I'm going for more of a hotrod/ratrod kinda thing, basically CHEAP. So I'm not even fixing all the rust, just the parts that'll keep me from falling out of the car going down the road!! I haven't even gotten to the front suspension yet. It would help if I already knew how to weld, I'll be learning on this thing!!
Anyway, your's looks awesome! Don't give up, one day it'll be DONE!!

pro64

Post by pro64 »

yea i spent winter sick on and off took the wind out uv me. things r warming up got the urge again