Lou's 65 Comet Build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
A/FX
Comet Central Member

Re: Lou's 65 Comet Build

Post by A/FX »

SASSY wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:29 pm
This blade may be the same as Jim's. It was on my '71 351C. Old 3 core copper out of a Galaxie no shroud never a problem.
I think the blade was stock to motor but who knows what I did back then,,lol.

Yes, your fan is very close to what mine is.
As for the blades being splayed, I am not sure of the reasoning but it sure pulls the air. No issues with balance. I also do not notice any increase in noise using this type of fan.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:56 pm
This is an aside, but what was the purpose of the non-symmetrical placement of the blades on those fans? Seems like it would throw the balance out of whack. :?

Jim
For noise. The different gaps help keep fan noise down.

Lou

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Those gaps came in handy,made it easier to put belts on & off too, & for other stuff,cant remember what :roll: but I do remember spinning the fan around to the gap for more room, maybe changing hoses.
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

It still seems out of balance. If you ran a screw driver through the center hole and held it sideways, I'd bet money the three blades would sink to the bottom. Bolt that to the front of an engine and spin it at a couple thousand rpm, I'd expect it to tear something up. Is it counterbalanced some way? :?

Jim

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

I wouldn't be concerned about noise.

Good gracious, solid roller cam, headers, straight through mufflers...........
I don't think a fan would be an issue. Back in the day when Ford put rubber grommets in their Hurst shifters for vibration and feel.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:04 pm
It still seems out of balance. If you ran a screw driver through the center hole and held it sideways, I'd bet money the three blades would sink to the bottom. Bolt that to the front of an engine and spin it at a couple thousand rpm, I'd expect it to tear something up. Is it counterbalanced some way? :?

Jim
I'd bet you'd loose that money Jim. it can be balanced & not be symmetrical. It's the way the blades are placed, they counter balance each other. lots of vehicles were built with these.
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:34 pm
I'd bet you'd loose that money Jim. it can be balanced & not be symmetrical. It's the way the blades are placed, they counter balance each other. lots of vehicles were built with these.
Obviously it must be balanced or there'd be millions of them out there flying apart. There must be some counter balance weights built into the two-blade side of the fan. However they did it, it works.

Jim

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Oh ya it be balanced! That C I had in Sassy back in the 70s was to the moon and back many a time on missed shifts!!
Busted everything behind the motor at least once but the C just had to catch its breath and was ready to go.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about