poboyjos ride

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
poboyjo65

Re: poboyjos ride

Post by poboyjo65 »

DesertRat wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:29 pm
Now I have seen the color photo and I have another build thread to read back to front. Your car is beautiful and the metal work is outstanding!
How did you get the hood the way it is?
-----------Doug----------
Thank you ! not sure what you mean bout the hood. what way? there is a section in there somewhere on it ,probably closer to the end than beginning. I bought the hood if that's what you mean. it is a repop of the proto type hoods that were available in 65, but it has a snorkel on the bottom taken from the afx style hood that crites makes. a guy in louisville Ky made them for a while.
Johno

comethead

Post by comethead »

Hey Johnnie I guess that guy stopped making those hoods?
Man you can never know with Comet and Falcon parts getting repopped. They come and go. Like those hoods. And the steel shifter humps. I think the gas tanks are still made.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

comethead wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:44 am
I think the gas tanks are still made.
Yep, Joe. My friend Roop just installed one in his '65 404.

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

[/quote]
Thank you ! not sure what you mean bout the hood. what way? there is a section in there somewhere on it ,probably closer to the end than beginning. I bought the hood if that's what you mean. it is a repop of the proto type hoods that were available in 65, but it has a snorkel on the bottom taken from the afx style hood that crites makes. a guy in louisville Ky made them for a while.
[/quote]
Fred: I re-started at the beginning of your build thread last night soon realizing that I have already read 75% of it. It is where I got a lot of my ideas. That and Lou's Comet thread as well. I really like the hoods with the scoops but I wont put fiberglass on my car if I can help it.
---------Dout-------------
Oz never gave nothing to the tin man that he didn't-didn't already have-Image

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

comethead wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:44 am
Hey Johnnie I guess that guy stopped making those hoods?
Man you can never know with Comet and Falcon parts getting repopped. They come and go. Like those hoods. And the steel shifter humps. I think the gas tanks are still made.
Joe
I think so Joe. I think comet parts dont sell good enough to be lucrative. however,there is a guy on facebook who use to work for crites (building hoods & molds) & he's making hoods on his own now. he's making 64 & 65 teardrop hoods & wants to pull molds from a proto type hood like mine & an afx hood to start making those. & they look great in black gelcoat that looks great as it comes!
DesertRat wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:27 am

Fred: I re-started at the beginning of your build thread last night soon realizing that I have already read 75% of it. It is where I got a lot of my ideas. That and Lou's Comet thread as well. I really like the hoods with the scoops but I wont put fiberglass on my car if I can help it.
---------Dout-------------

Doug not sure if you're talking to me or Fred! lol but here is another good thread .it is a dyno don tribute car now being raced.
https://cometcentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1274
Johno

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Well my windshield snowball project has begun. with all the other things I said I'd do when I did the windshield. I got the dash stripped, heater out glovebox,radio, wiper motor,freshair vent,,,& plan to do a better job of firewall & floor insulating this go around. I was getting too much heat.

so first thing i did after getting it up on stands was make some little front fender brace extensions. Jimscyclone mentioned just loosening his & readjusting & that fixed his tire rub so thanks Jim for the tip!. I had one side that rubbed pretty bad sometimes so I figured I'd push it out close to an inch with these;

it also helped close the gap between the bottom of the bumper & fender,kinda makes me want to push the bottom out further!
pics are backwards,left to right ;after & before

I put a set of split mono leafs on last year,first set they sent were a tad short;

but they swapped the back halves & made it right. I wanted the axle moved back an inch but only temporarily ,someday I want to move the wheel well openings forward. so I made some block with offset center pin holes;

then I made a new top block that was longer to catch in the leaf clamp to hold it better. Another thing I did was offset the holes sideways to compensate for my rearend being closer to one side than the other.
back in 2016 I had the outer trim above the windshield nearly come off, some of the clips rusted & broke. so when i had it off I was picking at some rust & poked up some holes. Slapped some ductape on it & a little model car paint ,put the trim on so I could go to PF for the gathering. tape still looks good!

Except for a few spots to fix it cleaned up pretty good around the seal ,hope the back window metal is this good.

thinking now would be a good time to put one of those new cowls with no vents from dynacorn while I have it this close,couple fenders & a hood & I'm there! oh & a few dozen spot welds to drill out :roll:

snapped this pic & noticed my lower quarter trim is upside down. it doesn't match the door trim. actually both sides of the lower trim are on the wrong side ,they need to swap sides.
Johno

comethead

Post by comethead »

Lookin good Johnnie!
Son of a gun I didn’t realize Dynacorn made so many body parts for a Falcon/Comet. When you mentioned the cowl without vents I had to look it up. And there it is http://www.dynacorn.com/ShowItem.aspx?item=3406
Are your inner cowls shot and leaking?
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Excited to see improvements happening!!
Will be following along.
Will you be showing us any paint chip cards of intended colours,,,? :mrgreen:
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

SASSY wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:49 am
ARREST ME RED :lol:
poboyjo65 wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:59 am
Another thing I did was offset the holes sideways to compensate for my rearend being closer to one side than the other.
Let me guess..was offset to passenger side?
poboyjo65 wrote:
thinking now would be a good time to put one of those new cowls with no vents from dynacorn while I have it this close,couple fender & a hood & I there! oh & a few dozen spot welds to drill out :roll:
Will the '65 Mustang cowl hat repair panels work in the Comet?

Go, Johnny, go! :D

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

comethead wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:54 am
Lookin good Johnnie!
Son of a gun I didn’t realize Dynacorn made so many body parts for a Falcon/Comet. When you mentioned the cowl without vents I had to look it up. And there it is http://www.dynacorn.com/ShowItem.aspx?item=3406
Are your inner cowls shot and leaking?
I have them covered up,used some magnetic sign material to make a cover. I had some pin holes around the hats that I smeared some fiberglass filler on the first go around . If I open it up I'll por15 the rust around the hats, I wont spend much time on it because it wont get any water in there if I get the new solid cowl panel. the heater draws good enough thru the side drains. I'll probably block off the driver side fresh air vent,that vent takes up too much valuable real estate behind the gauge bezel. & with the vents covered not much air comes thru it.

SASSY wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:49 am
Excited to see improvements happening!!
Will be following along.
No paint cards Fred. mostly interior work,windshield & cowl. plan to finish putting on electric fuel pump ,maybe having the radio upgraded.

Joe T. I think the rear needed to go toward the passenger side. weird cause it had been wrecked on that side,would have thought it'd be less room on that side.
& from the bottom pic of the hats,I think they'll be good enough if I close it off with a solid cowl.
Johno

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

windshield has never been out . so in trying to do it like they did & to note where I should add extra sealant to the windshield seal when I install it. looks like the builders had a different type sealant added at the corners. They probably had leaks there in the beginning ,,,or else they would not waste time or material .

& laid on thick ,,,between the arrows;

2 perfect runs of dum dum all way around;

until he got a little wavy on the bottom ;
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Sometimes I wonder if those extra measures were line ordered or just gaffes? IDK
I know one thing, they weren't built to last 57 years!
Looks great to be original. :wink:

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

poboyjo65 wrote:
so first thing i did after getting it up on stands was make some little front fender brace extensions. Jimscyclone mentioned just loosening his & readjusting & that fixed his tire rub so thanks Jim for the tip!. I had one side that rubbed pretty bad sometimes so I figured I'd push it out close to an inch with these;
Great idea, John. I'm still getting a little fender scrub on sharp turns. Not sure if the bolts may have slipped some since
I moved the fenders out or what. I'm going to steal your idea make me a set of spacers, too. :D

Jim

Comatt

Post by Comatt »

Just chiming in about the gas tanks. I looked everywhere for one for my 65 comet, couldn’t find one. I ended up getting one for a Falcon and cutting the trunk and making it fit. That was a couple years ago, not sure if someone makes one now that actually fits.

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Comatt wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:24 am
Just chiming in about the gas tanks. I looked everywhere for one for my 65 comet, couldn’t find one. I ended up getting one for a Falcon and cutting the trunk and making it fit. That was a couple years ago, not sure if someone makes one now that actually fits.
I bought a proper fitting reproduction new tank on eBay 7 years ago. Not sure if the guy is still making them, but it looks correct and functions correctly. It was expensive at $300.00
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry