Build thread: Pics of the 65 Cyclone.

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
65clevorcyclone

Build thread: Pics of the 65 Cyclone.

Post by 65clevorcyclone »

Found an old pic of when the comet came home. I was 9 at the time, im turning 27 this June. I will be posting and updating pics as progress is being made.

Last edited by 65clevorcyclone on Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

65clevorcyclone

Re: Pics of the 65 Cyclone.

Subframe connectors that my dad designed and welded in.

65clevorcyclone

All painted up body color

65clevorcyclone

Welded and smoothed all the unecesary holes on the rad suport

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Did the same with my Rad support,and inner aprons. I think doing the rad support makes a big difference. And going to look nice when all done. Also did the underneath of mine body color (although car is going to be black) but also something I think makes a big difference.

Your comet is looking good!

Lou

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Looks very strong and nicely done!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

ec164

Post by ec164 »

I like the Black undercarriage also! You all are doing a nice job, strong and clean looking.....Al
Your ahead in a Mercury....all the way!

albert

Post by albert »

Very nice work..........can't wait to see other pics as you progress.
Albert's 65 289, polar white, black buckets, 5 speed, Autolite 4100, ps, pb, factory tach, crites hood, headers, dual exhaust

65clevorcyclone

Thanks all! You can kind of see the new shifter hole we made into the floor. Made it out of 3/16" plate to keep the trans cross member all tied together.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

looks good,nice work,,,,,,bet you never thought when that PIC was made all these years later you'd be doing what your doing to that very same comet......pop
pop/glenda

65clevorcyclone

Got the last of the holes welded up that I dont plan on using. Also got the upper shock tower brackets back from the laser cutter and pressed the appropriate bend into them. Just waiting on the threaded rods to come back from the chassis shop. Waiting on one more peice to come in and a little more fabbing and then i can finally start body work and priming and painting then set that Clevor in and get it wired and plumbed.

65clevorcyclone

Made a bit of progress today. Started fabbing up a custom made battery tray delete panel. First made a cardboard template off the drivers side, cut it out, flipped it and tranferred it to a peice of 18ga sheet metal. I ordered a mustang repro drivers front apron, and cut out the ribs and tacked them in place. I need to do some heavy modifying to the upper rib to make ot look correct. Once its done I think it will look factory made.

ec164

Post by ec164 »

That will look nice. Are you going to mock engine up before painting and have headers made? Are you using a rack or going with factory steering?........Al
Your ahead in a Mercury....all the way!

65clevorcyclone

ec164 wrote:That will look nice. Are you going to mock engine up before painting and have headers made? Are you using a rack or going with factory steering?........Al
we had a mock up engine in there to build the headers, using a flaming river power rack setup. There are some more pics in this thread

http://www.cometcentral.com/forum/viewt ... =24&t=7178

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

65clevorcyclone wrote:Made a bit of progress today. Started fabbing up a custom made battery tray delete panel. First made a cardboard template off the drivers side, cut it out, flipped it and tranferred it to a peice of 18ga sheet metal. I ordered a mustang repro drivers front apron, and cut out the ribs and tacked them in place. I need to do some heavy modifying to the upper rib to make ot look correct. Once its done I think it will look factory made.

Very nice !! I just flipped a Mustang apron and adapted it to the pass side. Now I got a little voice in my head that's telling me I need to redo it LOL

Great work, and awesome idea.

Lou