dual exhaust question

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
lefthandedman

dual exhaust question

Post by lefthandedman »

I am trying to find out the best way to put dual exhaust on my 65 289 comet (auto trans). The original driver side manifold faces down, the previous owner put duals on it (poorly) because the y pipe was rusted out. the driver side hangs down under the steering arm. I want to know if I can avoid this and go above the steering linkage. I wondered if 289 hipo manifolds would work for me. I know the rear facing mustang manifolds don't. Anyone ou there with an original hipo comet ?

4-2vcyclone
Comet Central Member

Post by 4-2vcyclone »

original hipos had single exhaust with a high flow muffler. However dearbone classics, and others sell a 65 falcon hipo manifold like the fairlanes only shorter. I have them on my 65 and they fit great
Mike

lefthandedman

thanks for the reply

Post by lefthandedman »

hey, thanks for the info! I ordered a dearborne catalogue and I see some falcon manifolds. they are not labeled as hipo but are actually labeled cast iron headers (cih100) are these what you bought? they look similar to the '73 maverick 302 manifold (which I was recently told works) these are rather scarce so I was thinking of paying the price for the new dearbornes if in fact I will have no clearance or install problems. Do you have an auto or manual? thanks again for the reply! any other install or exhaust related tips or etc would be much appreciated.

4-2vcyclone
Comet Central Member

Post by 4-2vcyclone »

I bought mine from delta bay mustang in brentwood ca. Im not familiar with dearbornrs, but assume its the same product, the clear very well. My car is an automatic.
Mike