what did you do to your comet today?

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
lavron
Site Admin

Re: what did you do to your comet today?

Post by lavron »

BJB wrote:Dropped off the 2V head at the engine shop after lunch today. The head was fitted to a 7 main bearing 200 CI and I doubt the head hadn't been off for 30 years. I think the gasket is testomony to that.

Possibility that larger valves will be fitted. Head will be cleaned and crack tested so hopefully it will be good condition...as these heads are fairly rare. It will be fitted to a 250 and will wake up the old Ford.
I would love to have one of those heads 8) I know a few made it to the US. I know Argentina had a similar head but just as rare and not as good of quality.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

Pulled my fenders off to install my caliente badges. Ever since I had the car painted some twenty odd years ago I’ve never had them on because I lost one in the process. Found a nice pair a few months ago that even have all their pins still - the original one I have only has 2 out of 4 left. My local auto body supply shop even had the correct “barrel clips” (what they’re called they tell me) to fasten them to the fender.

Also installed some shims on my disc brake pads which will hopefully eliminate some rattles.
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

loman

Post by loman »

I started my black car and warmed it up just so I could smell some racing fuel!!! :D Who knows maybe racing fuel is the cure for this Corona crap.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Still hackin away on the interior. Got a bit of everything done but it's still all a
mess, shi,,, stuff stacked everywhere,, guess thats normal :D pics soon
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

hotsauc333

Post by hotsauc333 »

Since being stuck at home, it's been all comet.

installed center console, msd 6al box, changed to a cooler plug to try and get rid of some dieseling. Worked on the wilwood brakes and greased front end. Been kinda fun getting all this little stuff done.
1967 comet 302 T5
1966 mustang 302 C4

caseville cyclone

Post by caseville cyclone »

Looked at it! Andy

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

I took the front seats out and pulled up the carpet. Removed the shifter boot and tunnel. Tomorrow I will remove the rear seats, carpet and headliner. I have decided to put the interior into shape before starting any other work.
Oz never gave nothing to the tin man that he didn't-didn't already have-Image

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

here in the last couple of weeks,,I'd go to start my comet,,it cranked like a dragin starter or a weak battery,,,I thought well something has to give,,,this battery is 1yr old and is one that the car calls for or maybe my gen is bad,,,or getting close to going out,,,last sunday I went for a cruise by myself....it was slow to start but I left and drove about 13 miles ,,stopped to put in some fresh gas,,,acted like battery was almost gone,,,couple of retired guys riding MC's pushed me away from pump and dumped the clutch ..I was on my way...ran perfect,,got home got to checking cables and found the negative was hot to the touch,,,took it off,,the bottom side was half gone,,even had a ball of lead on bottom..it had been arking so long it had melted some cable end away,,,replaced cable and now it starts dang near before I can get off the key....ain't no telling how long it's been that way,,,,,it always started just slow about cranking over....so now it's good as ever !!!! POP
pop/glenda

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

I have decided to freshen my interior and dash as the first steps in my new 65 Cyclone build. Today I finished removing the entire interior less dash and cleaned it up. Next up is the entire dash. I am considering having my upholstery guy rebuild the stock seats to the build code-white. The headliner will be tough for me I think. I am thinking on it-------------------------DR---------------

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Got my temp dolly under the car so I can remove the suspension and engine.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Drove it about 250 miles. First over a couple mountian passes to Castlegar for a coffee. Then drove
Pass Creek rd just cause and over to Nelson.
The Walmart there has the best view, a harbour on the channel with a bridge in the distance. Then up to Balfour to catch the ferry(cause of covid we couldnt get out of car, bad pic) then down 3a highway hm (one of the 10 best drives in the province)to Wynndel.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Some good pics Fred,sounds like fun thanks for sharing! Sassy's looking tuff! :P
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I have been running the whls off my comet almost everyday,for at least the last 3wks or longer,, saturday morning I started loading my truck with gen ,air comp and hooked up trailer and loaded my side by side,, getting ready to go to the races,my truck has sat so long that a little field mouse had started building a nest on a pair of work gloves on the seat,,,,my question is how did this little rascal get in the cab ??....so now I need to set a trap in the floor,,don't want to poison him with some bait,,he'll go to smelling....so reckon the moral of this story is don't drive comet so much and drive truck more often,,,, :lol:
pop/glenda

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Looks like a great trip. Thanks for the pictures.
tom
tomb's 65

Samppafin

Post by Samppafin »

I did downgrade my Comet's windscreen washer tank back to 60s and FoMoCo bag style. There was still electronic washer pump which was not in original car in 64 model
Mercury Comet Caliente 289 V8 - 1964