what did you do to your comet today?

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
popscomet

Re: what did you do to your comet today?

Post by popscomet »

the rear houseing in wife's 56 ford came from a 63 v8 comet 8in,,,,took the orignal 3.00 chunk from my 64 and used it,but it has a healthy 351 alumn headed W,,with the C4 from my comet that has a shift kit and a small stall converter,,,works like a clock...POP don't like traction bars hangin down to be seen,,,,,good luck on your chores,,,,,,,pop
pop/glenda

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

popscomet wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:08 pm
...POP don't like traction bars hangin down to be seen,,,,,good luck on your chores,,,,,,,pop
I don't like 'em either. Pulled 'em off and checked everything out.
Everything in the rear is original except the chunk. Tranny is the original T-10-B.
Three-four shift arm and linkage is missing bushings. Ordered a kit to fix 'em all and check the linkage adjustments.
The 289 is twice the horsepower as the old 260, don't know how much abuse the old tranny can take.
I'm taking it easy for now.

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

what shifter do you have.....do you know about the hole and the pin method of adjusting likage??? pop
pop/glenda

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

popscomet wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:43 pm
what shifter do you have.....do you know about the hole and the pin method of adjusting likage??? pop
Hurst Competition.
Yep, the old 1/4" drill bit in the alignment hole.
I'll check the linkage for adjustment after I drop in the bushings on the shifter arms.
Drain the tranny and pull the inspection plate while I'm under there, see if the bottom of the case is clean.
Hopefully it'll be a fun adventure. :)

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Joe Travers wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:33 pm
popscomet wrote:
Hurst Competition.
I'll check the linkage for adjustment after I drop in the bushings on the shifter arms.
Drain the tranny and pull the inspection plate while I'm under there, see if the bottom of the case is clean.
Hopefully it'll be a fun adventure. :)

JT
cool just checking,,,,,,,,,,,,,,good luck...........pop
pop/glenda

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

popscomet wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:43 am
,,,,,,,,,,,,,good luck...........pop
Thanks, Pop!

I need all the luck I can get.
That little T-10 is bolted to a Kevlar bellhousing :shock:

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Joe Travers wrote:
popscomet wrote:
do you know about the hole and the pin method of adjusting likage??? pop

Enlighten me. Mine's currently a T-10 with an original shifter, and it's pretty sloppy. What's the pin method?

JIm

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:17 pm
Joe Travers wrote:
popscomet wrote:
do you know about the hole and the pin method of adjusting likage??? pop

Enlighten me. Mine's currently a T-10 with an original shifter, and it's pretty sloppy. What's the pin method?
Hey Jim!

Not familiar w/ the stock shifter. Pop probably has the skinny on that one.
The Hurst has an alignment method using a 1/4" pin, drill bit, Allen key...whatever fits.

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Joe Travers wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:11 pm

The Hurst has an alignment method using a 1/4" pin, drill bit, Allen key...whatever fits.

JT
I used a piece of a alum gutter nail cut to fit, I like the head on it.
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:56 pm
Joe Travers wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:11 pm

I used a piece of a alum gutter nail cut to fit, I like the head on it.
Hey PB!

Good tip!
I have one around the shed somewhere.
Finally got my plates this morning. Popped on a new front fender script.
Hitting the shifter bushings tomorrow morning so I can get an inspection. :)

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

JIM,you just take a drill bit or nail etc., run it thru thr hole in the side of shifter and this locates the shifter in the nueteral position,then you take linkage off shifting levers and make the adjustments,,,,,a sloppy shifter handle on a factory stock shifter is most likely the results of missing buttons on side of stick on each side located at bottom where the stick bolts on,,,,,,those buttons when new sit in a rubber pocket ,they are about 3/8th and have a short spring behind them,,,,they keep all slack out of stick,,,they are prone to wearing and falling out,,,,,thus a sloppy shifter stick,,,,,used to be able to buy a rebuild kit,,,MY son built a repair kit for my shifter way back in the 90's and today it still works and is as tight slop free as a brand new one,,,pop
pop/glenda

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

I have a feeling most of my problem is probably linkage bushings. The button issue you mentioned sounds like you would feel wiggle in the stick when it's in gear. I don't really feel that. It's more a problem with long throw from gear to gear and occasionally shifter getting bound, like it's trying to shift into two gears at the same time. Bushings?

Jim

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:05 pm
I have a feeling most of my problem is probably linkage bushings. The button issue you mentioned sounds like you would feel wiggle in the stick when it's in gear. I don't really feel that. It's more a problem with long throw from gear to gear and occasionally shifter getting bound, like it's trying to shift into two gears at the same time. Bushings?

Jim
Jim,
Using the factory shifter is the problem, even when they were new the operation was marginal. They were not designed for performance shifting or longevity. I put the Hurst Competition Plus in my Cyclone not long after I bought the car. Back then they were “expensive” but now they are really priced crazy.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

the first time it was roaring at speed & had an axle leak so I pulled the dif & had new gears set up & I put it back in & it made a noise even at slow speeds on the initial test drive. My buddy that set it up said he was afraid of that & he's going to send the gear set back for a new one. He said he couldn't get both sides right,get one like he want & the other one was way out so he settled for a happy medium. He said he should have sent it back the first time. I said yea it wasn't a happy medium on this end,,, if there is any doubt this time ,,,,,dont send it unless you're sure it's right this time,I'm getting too old to do this stuff twice, or 3 times! :roll: hoping the 3rd time is the charm.

I put a drain plug on the bottom of the housing but I still make a mess when I pull the chunk. I let it drain for a day or 2 & still ended up with what looks like a quart on the floor. Does anybody know a way of reducing that amount? maybe if I had spun the pinion part way around & let drain or something? I was hoping the drain on the bottom would help. Just as soon as the chunk comes off the studs seems like a little gremlin in there pours a big cup full out on the floor. :x
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Using the factory shifter is the problem, even when they were new the operation was margin

that factory shifter may a problem for some,,but not for me,,,mine is still tight and slop free and has a smooth shift,,,,pop
pop/glenda