1960 Comet Project

Upload pictures of your Comets and Projects to share with everyone.
lavron
Site Admin

Re: 1960 Comet Project

Post by lavron »

Joe Travers wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:50 pm
If you spring a leak on one, you loose them all
I blew a front wheel cylinder in my '64 twice, it is a fun experience to not have brakes when you expect to have brakes :roll: Make sure you have a good operating e-brake because you will need it eventually :shock:

I spent the most time on my rebuild addressing brakes over almost everything else so now I have disc brakes on all four corners which seems like overkill on a sub 3200 pound car and a inline six but I never want to experience brake failure again, made it twice with no mishaps I figure the odds are growing against me now :?

IMO a single master is questionable on a brand new brake system (my issue was drums that had been turned too many times, new shoes it worked fine but as soon as the shoes got enough wear out popped the wheel cylinders (took twice to figure out what was happening) I fixed it by installing new drums (if someone was close and was interested in a set of never turned front drums for a six cylinder hit me up I might give you deal you can't refuse) I guess I am saying that every component has to be operating correctly to avoid brake loss, it doesn't have to be just new brake lines but shoes, drums, etc any single failure will result in zero brakes and you have to fall back to the e-brake, just try to stop a car with just the e-brake from 35MPH, if you have a manual transmission you can downshift to slow yourself down some, if you are thinking & not in a panic and you have the room to stop before ramming the car in front of you or running over the little kid that rode his bike out in front of you.

So yes I think brakes are maybe the most important things to have right and operation with as much redundancy as you can put in there and a single MC is single point of failure, I am not saying people didn't drive around for a long time with just single MC and were fine but IMO unless you are restoring a car back to original for show or a museum I would concentrate on upgrading the brakes, IMO.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

zooooot

Post by zooooot »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:29 pm
Did you replace all three brake hoses, including the rear hose that feeds both rear wheels? You should check the wheel cylinders on all four wheels for wetness, indicating a leak, too. With the fruit jar single bowl MC, any leak anywhere in the system can mean NO brakes, front or rear. I had a leaking front wheel cylinder on mine back in the spring that I was not aware of until I lost enough fluid that it sucked air into the lines due to a low level in the MC bowl. Started to back out of the garage and the pedal just mushed to floor with no brakes. :shock:

Jim
I'm replacing all lines and wheel cylinders together. Along with the stock MC. I'll probably convert it eventually. Does it require the $400+ power booster one from Macs or could I use any dual one made for the car and it'll work?
Last edited by zooooot on Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I remember posting this long ago, I think the car is still there if there is anything you are looking for I can check it the next time I am over that way.

See Ya,
MIke
Mike's build thread

zooooot

Post by zooooot »

lavron wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:51 pm
I remember posting this long ago, I think the car is still there if there is anything you are looking for I can check it the next time I am over that way.

See Ya,
MIke
Hi Mike. I'm looking for the trunk lock sleeve. Can't find any anywhere!

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

zooooot wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:52 pm
I can check for you, I bet I can pick it up cheap from this place and the good thing is the trunk lid is already open :P I just hope those are not as hard to get off as a '64 trunk lock :roll:

Be patient with me, if it is there you can have it for whatever they charge me and the cost to ship it, most things like this I bought there I take to the front counter and they stare at it a few minutes and then charge me $2, can't say that will happen in this instance but I am sure it will be under $20 and most likely less than $5, that is the best junkyard ever :P at least the brush should be dead now (the briars still hurt) and the snakes & ticks will all be hibernating :shock:

If you find one before I get there let me know and I won't bother.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

lavron wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:34 pm
Joe Travers wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:50 pm
If you spring a leak on one, you loose them all
I blew a front wheel cylinder in my '64 twice, it is a fun experience to not have brakes when you expect to have brakes :roll:
I drove my '65 Cyclone home out of a weed patch and ran out of brake juice halfway home in the middle of town at a stop light. Thank goodness I was decelerating and right in front of an Autozone! :D

Merry Christmas!

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

zooooot

Post by zooooot »

lavron wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:10 pm
zooooot wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:52 pm
I can check for you, I bet I can pick it up cheap from this place and the good thing is the trunk lid is already open :P I just hope those are not as hard to get off as a '64 trunk lock :roll:

Be patient with me, if it is there you can have it for whatever they charge me and the cost to ship it, most things like this I bought there I take to the front counter and they stare at it a few minutes and then charge me $2, can't say that will happen in this instance but I am sure it will be under $20 and most likely less than $5, that is the best junkyard ever :P at least the brush should be dead now (the briars still hurt) and the snakes & ticks will all be hibernating :shock:

If you find one before I get there let me know and I won't bother.

See Ya,
Mike
Thanks Mike. I'll let you know. They seem to be impossible to find so far. It's the only part my car is missing! :mrgreen:

zooooot

Post by zooooot »

Little update....

Front brakes have been gone through, new master cylinder installed. All good now! Now as I was at the left side.. I noticed rust that was much worse than I thought previously. The middle of the frame is pretty rotten, I can poke small holes with some effort with a screwdriver. What's my best bet here? I can do some welding (though amateur/basic). Do they make falcon/comet front subframes or should I go find a donor car? :|

zooooot

Post by zooooot »

First short drive. Brakes are great! :)

https://youtu.be/ZFqAvMxA74E

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Congrats!!! :)
Johno

Groover

Post by Groover »

Man, that thing can really smoke the tires... in reverse ;)
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Cool ride! 8)

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Groover wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:13 pm
Man, that thing can really smoke the tires... in reverse ;)
Works best on cold days when the road is harder. :wink:

Jim

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I enjoyed more the look on your face than the Comet, but it was pretty special too :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

zooooot

Post by zooooot »

Hey guys! First drive on the road in this thing since 1997! Here's a video! :)

https://youtu.be/gPPuingLVUM