1965 Comet tail light wiring - Need your help

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
Mvannote

1965 Comet tail light wiring - Need your help

Post by Mvannote »

Hello. Forum newbie here.......I recently bought a 1965 Comet Caliente for my wife and notice it doesn't have any reverse lights. Is this normal?

While checking out the rear tail lighting, I also found some splicing of wires from the outer tail light housing to the main tail lights which doesnt seem right.

Anyone have this same, non reverse light setup and don't mind taking pictures of their tail light wiring so I can make sure they are wired properly?

I already bought a '65 shop manual and have found some '65 Comet wiring diagrams but not all that I see on paper matches with what I see in her car.

TIA
Attachments
PicsArt_07-29-06.56.02.jpg
PicsArt_07-29-06.56.02.jpg (170.86 KiB) Viewed 1810 times

Joe Travers

Re: 1965 Comet tail light wiring - Need your help

Post by Joe Travers »

Cool Texas car!

Plenty of '65s got out the door w/o backup lights. My Cyclone didn't have 'em. The ones that did had clear lens in the corners for light reflection. Your red ones tell me it's a 'no-reverse light' car.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Back up lights were an option. red (outer) corner lenses if you didnt have the bu lights & clear lenses if you got back up lights. Cars that didnt get the BU lights the corner lights were simply empty AFAIK. so it sounds like someone wanted both corner & flat tail light to burn. That is on my to-do list,& already found some sockets that fit the corner lights, & I want leds to make my whole rearend bright.
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:46 pm
I want leds to make my whole rearend bright.
I want LED bulbs in my entire car! Everything brighter, lasts longer and draws less current. Can't beat it with a stick :wink:

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Mvannote

Post by Mvannote »

Joe Travers wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:52 pm
poboyjo65 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:46 pm
I want leds to make my whole rearend bright.
I want LED bulbs in my entire car! Everything brighter, lasts longer and draws less current. Can't beat it with a stick :wink:

Joe
But, if you leave the fronts original, you don't have to convert your flashers. The original equipment (flashers) has to see enough voltage to operate correctly. When I upgraded my '66 Galaxie, I left the fronts original but added brighter bulbs and add all LED's in the back. All work great without any other adapting.

Mvannote

Post by Mvannote »

Joe Travers wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:42 pm
Cool Texas car!

Plenty of '65s got out the door w/o backup lights. My Cyclone didn't have 'em. The ones that did had clear lens in the corners for light reflection. Your red ones tell me it's a 'no-reverse light' car.

Joe
Thanks!

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Mvannote wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:18 pm
But, if you leave the fronts original, you don't have to convert your flashers. The original equipment (flashers) has to see enough voltage to operate correctly. When I upgraded my '66 Galaxie, I left the fronts original but added brighter bulbs and add all LED's in the back. All work great without any other adapting.
Thanks for the tip man! Haven't upgraded yet. You saved me one big headache. :D

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Mvannote wrote:
what brand did you get? I have heard some leds were not much brighter than stock ones,& I put some in an old truck about a dozen years ago & I had to use some sort of little voltage regulator or something ,,was about the same price as a led bulb. would I still need that? back then wasn't many to choose from,I think at autozone.
Johno

Mvannote

Post by Mvannote »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:01 pm
Mvannote wrote:
what brand did you get? I have heard some leds were not much brighter than stock ones,& I put some in an old truck about a dozen years ago & I had to use some sort of little voltage regulator or something ,,was about the same price as a led bulb. would I still need that? back then wasn't many to choose from,I think at autozone.
I bought these for my backup lights (which I won't need for her Comet..... :lol: ) Cool white 6400K

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... mens/2337/

I bought these for my tail, brake lights. Red

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... bulb/2625/

No need for resistors. Take the old one's out and install the new. They are brighter. Also more of a defined flash over the original bulbs.

Mvannote

Post by Mvannote »

Mvannote wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:08 am
Hello. Forum newbie here.......I recently bought a 1965 Comet Caliente for my wife and notice it doesn't have any reverse lights. Is this normal?

While checking out the rear tail lighting, I also found some splicing of wires from the outer tail light housing to the main tail lights which doesnt seem right.

Anyone have this same, non reverse light setup and don't mind taking pictures of their tail light wiring so I can make sure they are wired properly?

I already bought a '65 shop manual and have found some '65 Comet wiring diagrams but not all that I see on paper matches with what I see in her car.

TIA

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Mvannote wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:54 pm
poboyjo65 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:01 pm
Mvannote wrote:
I bought these for my backup lights (which I won't need for her Comet..... :lol: ) Cool white 6400K

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... mens/2337/

I bought these for my tail, brake lights. Red

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... bulb/2625/

No need for resistors. Take the old one's out and install the new. They are brighter. Also more of a defined flash over the original bulbs.
Thanks Chief! :D
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Mvannote wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:54 pm
You don't need resistors if you leave the front lights with original bulbs? Looking at the info in your links, it looks like you have to add a resistor for each bulb, or change to a LED flasher. Sounds like leaving the front bulbs original circumvents the need for the resistors, but if you want to replace front and rear, you either need four resistors or the LED flasher. The flasher would be the cheaper route, but it doesn't look like they have one to fit our cars. :roll:

Jim

Mvannote

Post by Mvannote »

Mvannote wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:08 am

TIA
Thanks for all the replies but we're getting off the topic of my original post question. Please see the above details.

I'm looking for some help and asking if someone with a non backup light Comet don't mind taking pictures of their tail light wiring so I can make sure my wife's car is wired properly.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

:)
I looked at mine,with camera in hand, but it had a socket for back up lights on it so I didnt take pics. but here is another diagram for your collection. :lol:

looking at it ,looks like it is just a single wire going to the backup/neutsafeswch. the rest of the tail light wires are the same on both cars w & w/o bu lights

Johno

Mvannote

Post by Mvannote »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:49 pm
:)
I looked at mine,with camera in hand, but it had a socket for back up lights on it so I didnt take pics. but here is another diagram for your collection. :lol:

looking at it ,looks like it is just a single wire going to the backup/neutsafeswch. the rest of the tail light wires are the same on both cars w & w/o bu lights

Thanks!

I do know the black wire runs the tail lights, the orange/blue is the right stop/turn and the green/orange is the left stop/turn but I also have a black/purple at both tail lights that are not connected to anything. Although I don't have them on this Comet, are those originally the backup light wires maybe?