Fuel tank with electric pump in it

Unusual and Unique Performance Mods
SASSY

Fuel tank with electric pump in it

Post by SASSY »

Post by 351 Pinto » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:15 am

I picked up a 65 Mustang tank with the electric pump already in it from Amazon of all places. It dropped right into my 63 except I had to get creative* with the filler neck (Mustang is aligned with the gas cap whereas 63 Comet is offset). It is made in Canada, so not the normal Chinese-made crap you might find on Amazon. I am sure you can find it elsewhere if not a fan of Amazon.

*Getting "creative" involved making a carefully timed trip to the beer fridge while my older, smarter brother solved the filler neck alignment issue. :lol:

The company that makes the tank, Spectra, sells the pump assembly separately. It mimics the stock pickup and sending unit assembly except there is also an electrical connector for the pump. I checked their website this morning and found the assembly here: https://ecat.spectrapremium.com/products/SP169A1H

Note that this is for fuel injection, so keep that in mind. It has a high pressure pump.

If you need a tank, too Amazon calls it: "Spectra Premium F28AFI Classic Injection Fuel Tank". Spectra just calls it "F28AFI".
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

poboyjo65

Re: Fuel tank with electric pump in it

Post by poboyjo65 »

Fred I thought you already had an in tank pump?

When I built my fuel tank I used a pick up & sender unit from Tanks Inc.for my manual pump
I had the other line capped but this summer I added the return line , filter & vent hose with roll over vent. so the ground work is done ! :)

Their elec pump is just like the pick up but with fittings that the wires come thru, so it'll be an easy swap.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tnk-gpa-tbi-u2
Later if I want to change to fuel injection I can just get a pump with more pressure & drop it in,( & a higher pressure regulator)

got their wiring kit with relay,oil pressure safety switch

Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Good move to post this here for EFI conversion.
I pondered it periodically but always balk looking at header removal for bung placement for O2 sensor.
If the header will come out w/o engine removal, maybe so.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

"Fred I thought you already had an in tank pump?"

Sorta, I built an accumulater tank that the high pressure pump resides in. I have a typical frame mount low pressure pump to transfer to the accumulater and a return to main tank.
It works great and has for 8 years but would be so much cleaner with the pump on the end of the stock looking tank pickup.
The barb fitting on the end is high pressure out. The two on the side, one is low pressure in, the other is return to main tank.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about