Lug Stug HELP!!!

The Big Comets
Spumoni

Lug Stug HELP!!!

Post by Spumoni »

Hey guys and Gals,

I'm in the middle of replacing the front/rear suspension on my 66 and came across a bit of an odd issue I'm kind of bringing on myself. I have a set of deep set circle track wheels I've been meaning to use that require the use of lug nuts with a 45 degree chamfer to mount properly. My issue is that the lugs are an m12x1.50 but the original studs are not. I figured since I'm replacing everything in the process I would just replace the studs with the proper size but I'm struggling to figure out what the knurl size on our factory lug studs are so that I can match those up and make sure the new ones will fit the hubs properly. Can anyone tell me what that measurement is so I can get a set of replacement studs in the proper size? Thanks!

Edit: Sorry if that was a bit long winded and confusing to read. I'm just trying to figure out the knurl size/diameter of the factory studs so I can replace mine with a different thread pitch stud. Thanks again!

SASSY

Re: Lug Stug HELP!!!

Post by SASSY »

Cant help with measurement but if you knock one out a wheel shop or good parts counter could help.
Sounds like a lotta work.
Have you searched for a 45° x1/2" lug nut?
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Spumoni

Post by Spumoni »

I knocked one loose and took it to my local parts store. Unfortunately they were of no help and ACTAULLY had me search through their behind the counter inventory to look for things myself. I was totally fine to do so but just thought it was odd they'd let a customer rummage around. I wound up grabbing one after comparing to the original but it turned out to be a hair too small to fit properly. I've seen videos of people going larger and just drilling their hubs out but I'd like to save the hassle and find the same size before I consider doing that myself.

If I'm correct in remembering the original size I believe it's a .625, but I could be very wrong. I just wanted make sure I got a solid answer before I put an online order in on a full set.

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

Maybe if you have a big box store (Lowe’s / Home Depot) you could take the lug in and see if it’ll give you a size on one of their size cards.
Don’t know if they go that big, but might be worth a try.
I know I’ve got thread size from several bolts at our local Lowe’s.
Motor Safe,
Lee

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

A pic would help but if they are true circle track wheels they might use a 1inch lug nut. When I ran a late model it was the rule to run this big lug nut but they were still 1/2inch studs. Maybe search the circle track suppliers.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Spumoni

Post by Spumoni »

I can snag a picture this evening when I'm able. I've been doing some digging and it looks as though the knurl diameter of a factory Comet stud is 0.685 inches. The unfortunate thing is that I can only seem to find an M12x1.50 stud with about a max of 12.8mm knurl size which equates to around 0.503 inches. Is there a better source to find a stud in that thread pitch with an equal knurl? Looks like the conversion would have me looking for around a 17.4mm knurl if possible.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Have you considered machining the 45° angle into a set of lug nuts? Would be a simple fix on a lathe.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

You maybe looking for a unicorn. have you looked for lug nuts?
what about these?
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aaf-all44102
that is if you have 1/2-20 lugs . but it does say 45° & there was more of them.
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Those are the 1" stock car lug nuts I mentioned probably exactly what you need to put those stock car wheels on your car.
Good grab Johno.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

SASSY wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:58 pm
Those are the 1" stock car lug nuts I mentioned probably exactly what you need to put those stock car wheels on your car.
Good grab Johno.
If he dont want a big 1'' wrench size here are some others,saw at least one that is 3/4'' wrench size by using summits search engine;
https://www.summitracing.com/search/par ... A1-2-in-20
Johno