Boss 9 on BaT

All the Ford Sisters...Falcon, Mustang, Maverick & Fairlane, etc. Try and keep your post relevant for Comet users
Joe Travers

Boss 9 on BaT

Post by Joe Travers »

Here's another for the fat wallets- https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1969- ... ss-429-14/

Rather silly, running smog pump w/ wrong carb to be considered a #1 restoration, IMO. :?
I hope someone drives the wheels off this thing. :D

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Caveman49

Re: Boss 9 on BaT

Post by Caveman49 »

Getting right on up there! 155k last I saw, with 16 hours left, geez, you’re right Joe, fat wallet car 😬
Motor Safe,
Lee

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

It seems like the car is receiving quite a bit of controversy. Some of the comments seem to be coming from knowledgeable people who have Boss ‘9 experience. In the real world there is only one person who is the foremost expert on these cars, Bob Perkins. He has a restoration shop here in Wisconsin and has been the go to person for these cars for decades.
Here is one example of his work, from his web site: https://perkinsrestoration.com/cars-for ... 9.html?a=1
I have visited his place and have seen some of his collection, almost zero mile examples of Boss 302, 429, 351, and other desirable FoMoCo vehicles. An enough NOS parts to fill a warehouse.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

A/FX wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:45 pm
It seems like the car is receiving quite a bit of controversy. Some of the comments seem to be coming from knowledgeable people who have Boss ‘9 experience.
Seems the Boss 9 has been relegated to the concourse crowd, Jim. I really can't relate, not being an investor but a driver myself. I believe all these cars are under heavy scrutiny from the concourse crowd, reflected in the comments and bidding. These guys know how much time & $$ it takes to get these cars near the $500K mark.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Joe Travers wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:09 pm
A/FX wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:45 pm
It seems like the car is receiving quite a bit of controversy. Some of the comments seem to be coming from knowledgeable people who have Boss ‘9 experience.
Seems the Boss 9 has been relegated to the concourse crowd, Jim. I really can't relate, not being an investor but a driver myself. I believe all these cars are under heavy scrutiny from the concourse crowd, reflected in the comments and bidding. These guys know how much time & $$ it takes to get these cars near the $500K mark.

Joe
I agree, the normal collector is almost priced out of ownership of one of these. I remember when they were new, there was a few of them around here. A couple of years later (‘72) there was a grabber blue ‘70 B429 on a local used car lot, it sat there near the sidewalk on a busy street for almost a year with no sale, the lot even “customized” it with some lace paint on the C pillar, that did not draw anymore interest. I’m not sure what happed to it, but it eventually vanished from the used car lot. Can you imagine leaving a Boss ‘9 sitting on a city street today?? Of course being a four speed limits the number of people who would be capable of driving it away!
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

A/FX wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:41 pm
I agree, the normal collector is almost priced out of ownership of one of these. I remember when they were new, there was a few of them around here. A couple of years later (‘72) there was a grabber blue ‘70 B429 on a local used car lot, it sat there near the sidewalk on a busy street for almost a year with no sale, the lot even “customized” it with some lace paint on the C pillar, that did not draw anymore interest. I’m not sure what happed to it, but it eventually vanished from the used car lot. Can you imagine leaving a Boss ‘9 sitting on a city street today?? Of course being a four speed limits the number of people who would be capable of driving it away!
Was talking to two old Mustang restorers here over the last year and they both claimed the Boss 429 cars pop up on rare occasions on the private market but are snapped up rather quickly. One guy is tied up in the '69 CJ cars, the other in the '65 ragtops & 2+2. It's a very niche high-dollar market that neither are willing (or able) to enter. I don't ask. I have a barrel of fun driving my hot rod Comet! :D

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop