sputtering uphill

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
captian_napalm

sputtering uphill

Post by captian_napalm »

I have a 170ci and when I am going uphill the car sputters like it is starving for fuel. Any ideas, thoughts?

Lou's Comet

Re: sputtering uphill

Post by Lou's Comet »

Fuel filter, fuel pump?

Lou

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Lou's Comet wrote:Fuel filter, fuel pump?

Lou
trashy tank !!!plus the above.........[[..make sure it's timing is correct also]]...pop
pop/glenda

captian_napalm

Post by captian_napalm »

tank was replaced by previous owner. timing looks good. I got the idle set on the carb. looks like its down to the filter and pump....thanks for the info.

captian_napalm

Post by captian_napalm »

ok so I swapped out the points for an ignitor package.....new plugs, wires, had the carb rebuilt, but they screwed that up by loosing a part of the linkage......has a new tank from previous owner. just rechecked the timing after installing the ignitor ignition module. still hesitates on acceleration.....is it possible that the fuel pump is bad, or maybe the accelerator pump on the carb?

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Remind me, what year Comet?

The old Load-O-Matic distributors (mid '64 back) were matched to the carb, if there is a mismatch between carb and the distributor will not advance properly, they were a vacuum only distributor, not sure of the fix (can't remember) but can try and look up the solution if there is one.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

captian_napalm

Post by captian_napalm »

lavron wrote:Remind me, what year Comet?

The old Load-O-Matic distributors (mid '64 back) were matched to the carb, if there is a mismatch between carb and the distributor will not advance properly, they were a vacuum only distributor, not sure of the fix (can't remember) but can try and look up the solution if there is one.

See Ya,
Mike
62 with a 170...not to sure if the carb is the org. it is the 1940 holley.