Pop's Cobra build.

All the Ford Sisters...Falcon, Mustang, Maverick & Fairlane, etc. Try and keep your post relevant for Comet users
tomb22

Re: Pop's Cobra build.

Post by tomb22 »

Looking forward to seeing some pictures.
tom
tomb's 65

frdpwr

Post by frdpwr »

Here's a few pictures if what we been up to on the Cobra. I'm not one to take pictures and usually forget to do so.
Lil pnl to charge since the battery is under the trunk floor and main disconnect if needed.
Lil pnl to charge since the battery is under the trunk floor and main disconnect if needed.
Charge Pnl.jpg (177.42 KiB) Viewed 3530 times
I didn't see spending a $100 for a FFR shroud when we have spare sheets of aluminum and a brake to make our own. Plus they intended for sheet metal screws to be used and I went with Rivnuts to attach to rad and fan.
I didn't see spending a $100 for a FFR shroud when we have spare sheets of aluminum and a brake to make our own. Plus they intended for sheet metal screws to be used and I went with Rivnuts to attach to rad and fan.
Fan Shroud.jpg (198.36 KiB) Viewed 3530 times
Custom fuel log I built on the lathe & mill. Started with a 1-1/8" 6061 aluminum hex after a little turning, drilling and tapping it fits like a glove.
Custom fuel log I built on the lathe & mill. Started with a 1-1/8" 6061 aluminum hex after a little turning, drilling and tapping it fits like a glove.
Fuel Log.jpg (180.49 KiB) Viewed 3530 times
I still need to layout the switches.
I still need to layout the switches.
Gauges.jpg (185.57 KiB) Viewed 3530 times
Side pipes ceramic coated and ready to burn some skin.
Side pipes ceramic coated and ready to burn some skin.
JetHot.jpg (191.37 KiB) Viewed 3530 times
New fuel tank and sending unit
New fuel tank and sending unit
New Fuel Tank.jpg (195.41 KiB) Viewed 3530 times
The aftermarket wants $50 for a specific fuel tank vent fitting. We solved that in about 20 minutes on the lathe with a scrap piece of alum from the fuel log.
The aftermarket wants $50 for a specific fuel tank vent fitting. We solved that in about 20 minutes on the lathe with a scrap piece of alum from the fuel log.
Vent Fitting.jpg (195.37 KiB) Viewed 3530 times
Used some scrap to make the "wingnuts" for the air cleaners.
Used some scrap to make the "wingnuts" for the air cleaners.
Wing Nuts.jpg (188.17 KiB) Viewed 3530 times
Seats are bolted in, another place where the Rivnuts came in handy.
Seats are bolted in, another place where the Rivnuts came in handy.
Seats.jpg (196.96 KiB) Viewed 3530 times
Since we are running a 289 water pump setup and the rad FFR requires is for a late 302 water pump style, we didn't care to use flex style rad hoses connected together. We dug the tubing bender out from the corner & I bent a piece of 1-1/2"x.083" aluminum tubing in a 90 and then used the correct formed hoses on each end and turned a plastic collar to use as a brace attached to the frame.
Since we are running a 289 water pump setup and the rad FFR requires is for a late 302 water pump style, we didn't care to use flex style rad hoses connected together. We dug the tubing bender out from the corner & I bent a piece of 1-1/2"x.083" aluminum tubing in a 90 and then used the correct formed hoses on each end and turned a plastic collar to use as a brace attached to the frame.
Lower Hose.jpg (192.59 KiB) Viewed 3530 times
Since I put the valve covers on with studs and nuts I had enough threads to make these stands to hold the throttle cable.
Since I put the valve covers on with studs and nuts I had enough threads to make these stands to hold the throttle cable.
TC Holder.jpg (180.28 KiB) Viewed 3530 times
Not much of a driveshaft is required. The new bead blaster sure has come in handy cleaning parts.
Not much of a driveshaft is required. The new bead blaster sure has come in handy cleaning parts.
DS2.jpg (185.63 KiB) Viewed 3530 times
We raided the parts stash and came up with all the parts to build a driveshaft.
We raided the parts stash and came up with all the parts to build a driveshaft.
DS1.jpg (184.92 KiB) Viewed 3530 times
Cutting to length.
Cutting to length.
DS3.jpg (182.6 KiB) Viewed 3530 times
all trued up within +/- .005" runout and ready to weld.
all trued up within +/- .005" runout and ready to weld.
DS4.jpg (188.98 KiB) Viewed 3530 times
Final piece installed. Took parts from 3 but thats the good thing about doing this stuff for a lifetime.
Final piece installed. Took parts from 3 but thats the good thing about doing this stuff for a lifetime.
DS5.jpg (187.8 KiB) Viewed 3530 times
Getting close.
Getting close.
Engine Bay A.jpg (200.33 KiB) Viewed 3530 times
Ole Rusty helping the wire relax from being bundled up.
Ole Rusty helping the wire relax from being bundled up.
Wire Relaxing.jpg (177.33 KiB) Viewed 3530 times
Still some work to be done but a whole lot has been done too.

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

You guys been busy. Looking great. Wish I had some of your shop tools. Really enjoyed the pictures.
tom
tomb's 65

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Awesome stuff Dwayne and Pops, I really like seeing home fabricated stuff like this gives me something to aspire too.

Keep up the really good stuff, it is coming along nicely.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

It all looks great! 8) Can't wait to see it in person (whenever that turns out to be :roll: ).

Jim

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

thanks for the kind words,,,,,just alittle while ago out in the shop,,,way before we read any of the kind remarks....we were discussing what we use to do with nothing to work with,,,,this shop and what is in it is a long time want and proof if you set your goals and the good LORD is on your side,it will happen,,,and it don't hurt to have a wife and mother like we have that wants it for us as bad as we want it ….POP has had DWAYNE since he was 19 yrso,,,,,have had his mother by his side since she was 17 yrso…..we are and always have been a force to reckon with,,,,as AMANDA,DWAYNE'S sister,,,,,whom really is not into these old cars like we are,,,altho,,,her better half is redoing her 67 fastback stang that we redone for ole pop and she wanted it when she was 14 yrso….in a few mo's when we start on our fas backs we will get hers over here in the shop and knock it out,,there's not many of us that still have the same girlfriend he had when he was 16 yrso,,,but POP does,,,next week will mark 55yrs we have been together,,,,and our married life of 53 yrs......thank you and GOD HAS BEEN GOOD TO US !!….take care and always pay attention...…...pop
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

POP wordered that wrong,GLENDA just turned 15 while I was 16 ,,,,,,,we married shortly after she turned 17,,,,back then we had to have our parents sign off for us to marry....they knew from the git go how it was twix us ,,,they never backed up,,,,they signed on the dotted line....and no one ever looked back.....
pop/glenda

CosmicComets

Post by CosmicComets »

Pop & Dwayne, WOW, you guys have been kicking butt on the Cobra! When was I there, a little over a month ago? Great progress and quality all the way, looks like you are taking full advantage of the equipment you have. How are you going to set the pinion angle on that driveshaft, It might be to short to put a gauge on. :lol: Say Hi to Glenda, man, I thought Joan had patience (40 yrs this June), you guys ROCK! :D
Take care, Cary and kin
65 Cyclone 460W, C4, trans brake, CalTracs
64 Cyclone (son's) 408W 8 stack EFI 6speed, Winters qc rear
64 Cyclone (son's)347, 4speed, mini tubbed 9"
1965 Caliente, 289, 4 speed, buckets, 51k miles
1969 428 CJ coupe (son's)
1965 Cyclone, tube chassis, 514bbf, glide w/brake

WARNING: all of my vehicles are armed with anti-thrift devices

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Too cool guys!!
First off the 2 of you are a pair to reckon with, many congrats on
your on going love affair!
The Cobra, one of my faves as well is really coming along.
Gonna be sneakin down the road any day now,,, sneakin probably
probably the wrong word, :mrgreen:
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

thanks...sneaking down the road is going to be a problem or anywhere in that cobra,,,,those side pipes are no more then a glass-pack muffler....we all know how long they stay in the sneaky mode !!!....I'm kinda dreading the abuse my left ear drum is in for.....good thing that's my bad ear...hearing out of it right now ain't nothing to brag about....thanks again for the kind words...take care and always pay attention....pop
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

CARY,the pinion angle comes set from the factory,,with the location of the upper and lower control arms,which was set up to use stock 87-93 5.0 mustang,,,,but the factory also offers their own custom control arms and anti squat brkts,,,,and POP had the fore sight to buy them when I bought the car,,,right now the ride height is not set correctly and the battery is not mounted,,it mounts right behind the rear end and in front of the fuel tank,,and the tank is empty,,,,,and the body is not on it ,,so it has several more weight to go on it....so when it's all ready to go...that angle will be right,,,,thanks for your interest...june will mark y'all's 40th,,,congrats june of 98 was when I bought the cobra....tell Ms JOAN as well as the boys and also the deer slayer ole POP says HI !! again thanks for going way out of your way to come and spend some time with us
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

WE had a buddy of DWAYNE's over Saturday night til late,,,nothing got done,,,but we really needed a break,,,,then today we thought we'd let that break last alittle longer,,,,we'll hit it again tomorrow afternoon....we aren't far from the end ,,,as in driving it without the body,,,the factory suggest doing that ,they call it ...go karting it....drive around the block a few times in my case out in the county where I'm at a few times around the block will run up several miles.....give it that last once over,,retighten a bolt or 2 put body on .plug up lights and your ready,,,we'll alighn the frt end like a race car pretty much ,,,have already went and checked on lic tags,,,that won't be no sweat,,,but before tags,,,insurance lady will come to the shop and inspect and write the policy,,,,,then with proof of insur I can get tags,ain't made my mind up yet to get a regular tag or a personal plate.....many thanks goes out to my son DWAYNE,,,,it wouldn't be here if not for him....thanks and always pay attention !!!!!!!! POP
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I keep forgetting to mention there is a windshield that goes on also,,,it will be last thing to go on...this windshield and chrome frame came to me all wrapped up bubble wrap in sept of 98 when I got the kit...I never un-wrapped it,,,have never seen it,,has always been in a bed room with blankets around it to guard against bumping it....sure hope the darn thing ain't got a crack.....soon I'll find out,,,,in 98 the factory told me if I ever have to replace it...look at a 600 dollar cost !!! :shock: :shock: today it might a bunch more or it could be found local cheaper...either way...I hope it ain't cracked...thanks pay attention.....POP
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

WELL,the wireing has started,the dash has all the swiches and lights installed ,ign switch with the early style key,,and it's almost all wired,,we choose a 9 circuit harness,,has a fuse for everything.Son is putting everything on plug in connectors,that way if anything has to come back apart,or dash needs to come back out for whatever,,it can be done easier.Takes alittle longer but down the road it may pay off...just because everything is brand new always don't always count for much...we had set a dead line to drive it by may 6,,it won't happen,,but that's OK !! we want it done correct... takes longer when every connection is soldered and shrink taped...We measured for the speed-o cable last night,,it might have to be custom built,,we don't want it sticking out in a big loop under the hood like a sore thumb,,,there is steady work being done …..paint and carpet is way down the road,,primer and bare floor is going to get it for now.....thanks,POP
pop/glenda

afx1964

Post by afx1964 »

frdpwr wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:55 pm
Here's a few pictures if what we been up to on the Cobra. I'm not one to take pictures and usually forget to do so.
Charge Pnl.jpg
Fan Shroud.jpg
Fuel Log.jpg
Gauges.jpg
JetHot.jpg
New Fuel Tank.jpg
Vent Fitting.jpg
Wing Nuts.jpg
Seats.jpg
Lower Hose.jpg
TC Holder.jpg
DS2.jpg
DS1.jpg
DS3.jpg
DS4.jpg
DS5.jpg
Engine Bay A.jpg
Wire Relaxing.jpg
Still some work to be done but a whole lot has been done too.

Is that a Chevrolet cowl induction hood scoop attached to Old Rusty?