Pop's Cobra build.

All the Ford Sisters...Falcon, Mustang, Maverick & Fairlane, etc. Try and keep your post relevant for Comet users
SASSY

Re: Pop's Cobra build.

Post by SASSY »

popscomet wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 4:01 am
got a man due here at 5:15 pm to talk to us about some dozer work on this 5acres next to pop we bought last yr,,,,,,,
Pops, that will be a pretty small oval :mrgreen:
22 years,, long time to wait to drive Cobra!!
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

yep.22 yrs is a long time.....but really the cobra had not been that pressing til here lately,,,I bought the cobra just more or less on a whim,,,,was in no hurry,,bought stuff for it thru out the yrs and stock piled it,,,now it's time ….!!! pop
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I promise you ,,OLD man Shelby didn't build his cobra's as good or any better then this one of POP's,,,it has taken almost a week for Dwayne to just wire it,,,Dwayne designs and wires million plus dollar machines and equipment every day,,,every wire is perfect length and soldered and shrink tape together,,,,this cobra has more stuff added to it then carol's …..it is awsom !! no brag ,,,just a fact,,,,we ran behind last night cause of POP's birthday and earlier one evening that boy took up some time....it may be Saturday before it's fired off,,,sunday to go kart it without the body...there is no rags on this cobra,,all bolts and fasterns are new either SS or plated....I did not want to dig thru a bolt box and find a rusty bolt and wire brush good enuff to use....we built his mother's 56 ford the same way back in the 90's and it has always been an award winner and has even made a couple of magizines...even the engine compartment alone has made a magazine...you get back what you put into it.....POP
pop/glenda

frdpwr

Post by frdpwr »

A little update, still have about 8-10 hours worth of work then hopefully it'll move under it own power. Finish the wiring, test with a 10 amp battery charger, add coolant, exhaust, adjust the clutch and align the front end it should be "go kart" time. If no "electrical gremlins" after driving a few days, I'll pull the harness to sleeve and tape it.
a rats nest
a rats nest
Chasis wiring 1.jpg (184.95 KiB) Viewed 7428 times
looking better
looking better
Chasis wiring 2.jpg (190.37 KiB) Viewed 7428 times
still needs some finishing touches
still needs some finishing touches
Dash Wiring.jpg (191.76 KiB) Viewed 7428 times
front side complete
front side complete
Dash complete.jpg (119.4 KiB) Viewed 7428 times

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Cool pictures!

Thanks for that, looks awesome.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Nice looking dash. The wiring looks professional. Good job. Thanks for the pictures.
tom
tomb's 65

comethead

Post by comethead »

Awesome! Looks great!!
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

tomorrow evening we will hook an old 10 amp battery charger to the batt cables...that is the best way to test your wireing,,if all checks out,,,we just might start this thing …..maybe sunday POP will go kart it down the street....without the body or lights..but 1st it'll be cranked up on stands and just let idle for awhile,,it has a brand new 3.55 ls gear set up ...it needs to get some lube through out and the tremec tranny is dry also.....even the moser axles are brand new....it's been along time getting here....but it's almost done......thanks to my son,DWAYNE….POP
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

well it's been a few days since reporting anything new,,,have been busy,,,,,,,,if anyone has a notion of installing edelbrock alumn heads on a early block sbf….contac POP/Dwayne 1st,,,we can save you some time and let down,,,,we'll get more into it later,,,we've fought a heating problem for almost a week....but it's cured now....pop
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

after heating set back was corrected,,we put the freshly jet hot coated side pipes on last night....I really like the sound...will get a tad louder as time rolls along,,,you can here the whine from the gear drive ,not loud but it's easy to pick out,,,have put about 12 miles on it sitting on stands,,,wanted to let brand new rear LS get all lubed up as the new moser axles before driving it..also the tremec 5spd,,,this is my 1st to ever own one of these trans,,,it shifts so smooth ,,don't recall name of after-market shifter ,but it works great also,,,it won't be a day or so maybe and will put on the road to test it out,,without the body and windshield....been many yrs getting here to this point,,,many thanks to DWAYNE,,my son...which by the way he might post pic's and short video in a few days,,,,thanks pop
pop/glenda

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Would really enjoy a vid of you bombing around in your "gokart"
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Who doesn't want to see a movie? :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

lavron wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 1:05 am
Who doesn't want to see a movie? :P

See Ya,
Mike
it won't be a very long one right now,,,but I think he made one last night while I had it running on stands and shifting it thru the gears,,,I think he put it on face book and sent it to grd son CORY,,,in WISCONSON,,I think that's where he's working...more then likely I'll have to get a camara to mount on roll bar for later on video of it being driven....but that won't be a biggy,,,in fact CORY may still have his from his dirt track days,,he would mount it inside on dash or roll bar while on the track...………..thanks...……...POP
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

to be honest about it,,we'll be glad when it's to the point all put together waiting on paint,,which I think will be gun metal gray with a burgundy stripe to match the frame,,and black carpet....then we can move on to both our broncos and get them up and about and sold,,,then we can get on what we really want to do....redo our 67 fst back stangs,,,that's where we want to be !!! but first comes first,,I gave son that BM super charger that is new never been on anything,,if he wants to put it on what ever he builds,,,but he is kinda leaning toward this cross ram 2x4 set up we have,,,it's his choice,,the 3x2 set up we have to us don't look good on a sbf,,,,mine is a factory S code and it will a 390 2x4 set up with alumn heads,,,don't think I want this 3x2 set up on it,,,,both will have rod/custom stang 2 ,r/p frt ends,,,,just like ole rusty...….once the cobra is to the point of paint and carpet ,,,and the new wears off it,,,I'll park it and flip a coin between the red comet and the cobra on which one I drive ….and a lot will depend on the weather.....I ain't getting wet on purpose and I ain't having my thinning grey hair blistered by the sun.... course I have my 3 pu trks I drive on given days,,,4 if we ever replace the clutch on the 91 ranger I bought new......I keep it started and driven around in the pasture to keep the brks up and so on.....but before anything is worked on after the cobra,,,GLENDA'S 56 ford needs alittle TLC...it comes 1st,,,,she drove it to town last week called me from Wal-Mart and and said fan belt was screaming,,,,alittle TLC !!!! gotta keep her happy.....thanks for reading this stuff..and the interest in the cobra build...………..pop
pop/glenda

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Man,,, I thought I had a few projects on the go!
Pedal to the metal!!
Fred