Water leak by front of doors?

Discussions about general body work and modifications
tomb22

Water leak by front of doors?

Post by tomb22 »

Ok for the first time I used a hose to wash the winter dust off the car and found a lot of water leaked in towards the front of both doors. I started looking at the drip rail in front by the roof and I can see that there is a clear passage for water to go down behind the chrome T piece which connects the window chrome trim to the drip rail chrome piece. Is there a rubber gasket or trim missing? Where should that water go from the drip rail in front? I have new rubber door seal and a new rubber seal for the windows under the drip rail. Was I supposed to calk up the opening just in front of the drip rail?
Thanks for looking
tom
tomb's 65

SASSY

Re: Water leak by front of doors?

Post by SASSY »

I don't understand the terms good enough would need a pic to comment. But I have stated before that I went through a drive in carwash once,,, got soaked! Lol
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Here are a couple of pictures explaining where the water goes. The first one is on top of the car at the end of the drip rail in front. It's wide open for water to go down behind the chrome T which is pictured in the second picture.

The chrome T

Then the water must run down the top edge of the vent window frame and ends up in the car :( I'm wondering if I'm missing some kind of rubber seal or am I supposed to caulk up the opening behind the T.
thanks for looking
tom
tomb's 65

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I wondered about this a few years ago when I had the top & side trim off to replace some of the trim clips for the top piece ,it had raised /bowed up when the clips broke. I remember thinking at the time that water must channel down under the side trim to behind the fender. but didn't have time to ponder on it because I was getting it ready for the drive to the PF gathering. so I'm glad you brought this up & hopefully someone has the answers since I still need to go back in & fix some holes behind the T's when I put the new windshield in.
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

I forgot about this today.
I don't think that vent window area has ever been apart on my car. Will look tomorrow.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

The vent window seal is entirely separate from the trim.
Any water entering under the "T" simplify runs down to fender/door outside of seal.
Any water that comes out from under "T" should simplify wash over the vent window to body seal.
Hope the images help not the best I know.
Click on pictures twice for BIG pics
Fred

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Thanks for the pictures Fred. I checked out what I have against your pictures and I have everything there. I did some more checking and found that the water was leaking behind the rubber seal that is under the drip trim and then goes down the door jam. When I installed that new seal I didn't use any sealer behind it. There is about 6 screws that fasten it to the door jamb and it had ribs molded into the back of the seal, so I figured it would be OK to just screw it to the jamb :roll: So now I took it apart and ran a bead of 3M weather strip black cement and sealer behind the rubber seal.

I'll wait till tomorrow and give it another water test.
Thanks for looking
tom
tomb's 65

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Happy to help
Man I can actually see your pics!!
I need to clean up my act as far as pics go, well
there are a couple other things too but I won't get into it,, lol
Fred

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Gave it the water test today and everything is working like it's supposed too.
tom
tomb's 65

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

tomb22 wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:21 pm
Gave it the water test today and everything is working like it's supposed too.
tom
Glad you got it worked out.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058